Thread: Epi Valve Senior Noise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epi Valve Senior Noise

Ok, I'm enjoying my new Valve Senior very much, but I'm noticing it is a noisy amp. I have limited experience with tube amps (this is the first one I've owned) and so I don't really know how much noise is normal. I've noticed the noise varies depending on the room (I assume due to different electricity supply etc) but even in the least noise-inducing locations it's still noisy. The noise I get is essentially of two sorts - scratchiness and mild popping (reminds my of how my parents old record player used to sound, perhaps not surprisingly), and feedback (not due to the guitar, and not screechingly loud).

These effects are audible when there isn't even a lead plugged into the amp. They are not volume dependant, so the noise gets easily drowned out as the volume increases - you can't really hear anything other than buttery tube goodness when the volume goes up, but when I'm not playing the noise is clear and annoying. All the controls of the amp work properly and all the tubes light up and funtion as they should so it doesn't seem like there's anything actually wrong with the amp; it's just noisy.

The amp has 2 12ax7 tubes in the preamp and 4 6v6 tubes in the power stage and it's brand new (though who knows how long it was sitting in the shop, given that they've been discontinued for quite some time). The popping I mentioned is a slight popping sound; overall it's like an old stereo playing vinyl though a bit louder, quite noticeable. I have a friend with a Matchless amp and I played around with it today - no sound at all out of it until you crank the volume, and even then it's only a slight hum so nothing like the noise in my Valve Senior. Admittedly the Matchless is five times the price so you'd expect more, but still.

I know with tube 'technology' that I should expect a degree of noisiness due to interference etc, but how much noise is normal? At what point do I take it back to the shop to get it checked? I didn't notice the noise so much in the shop, probably because there were other amps etc being played in the shop and because I was all caught up in the excitement and lovestruck gazing at my new Wildkat . Thoughts? Suggestions? Input?

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm - maybe that's why they were discontinued. The noises you describe do not sound normal. I would return it.

Post Thanks / Like

my amp tech says that with any used amp to include a tube change as part of the purchase price. If that doesnt do it, possibly the speaker. Obviously if nt those two fixes then you have a sick amp that must be looked at by your "doc". Those epi's are good amps at the price point and have a solid reputation. I am much more familiar with the jr. than the sr. but my friends who have or have had an epi tube amp love them. Ask your local amp tech fo advice before proceeding but tubes will probably do a world of good for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Take it back, and explain the problem... Was the amp doing this in the store when you tried it out? Not being a tube amph kinda guy, I have no idea on how to fix it, other than start with the simple, nonlethal options first... Change tubes and check the speaker connection, as sixstringdrug suggested.

Small warning.... DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go poking around the inside of the chassis on that amph if you aren't an experienced technician. The voltages that are stored in the caps in your amph are heart stopping lethal. I know you probably wouldn't do that in the first place, but it bears repeating.
    Last edited by Katastrophe; May 5th, 2012 at 03:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm with you on the 'don't poke around' bit. The options are either get used to it or take it back. I won't even swap the tubes given that the amp is new and under warranty. I noticed some noise in the shop, but there was lots going on (ie other guitars and amps making a lot of noise) so I didn't notice much.

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal, man. Let us know how it went!

Post Thanks / Like

So, time for the update. I took the amp back over the weekend, having checked that the amp technician would be on site. He looked at is straight away, heard the noise (high-pitched feedback-type sound) and described it simply as a "noisy" tube. I'd heard that expression before, but didn't know what it meant. Within about 20mins he had the tube out and swapped (one of the preamp tubes) and the amp was suddenly quiet as a mouse. Even with the gain and master both turned up to 10, all good.

The nicest part was that the closest guitar to hand was a Gibson 330 they gave me to play through it to make sure I was happy and it all sounded as it should. The 330 was super-sweet, and the Valve Senior was completely restored to its former, buttery smooth glory. Excellent service, beautiful amp. I'm a happy chappie!

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see that you got to the bottom of the problem with that amp. It sounds like a cool amp.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Firstly, awesome you got it fixed, and secondly, awesome you told us what it was!