Thread: Pre-Wired Pick Guard Suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre-Wired Pick Guard Suggestions.

I have a Highway One Strat thats has a HSS combination in it. While I dont hate this combination Ive always prefered 3 single coils, therefore Im looking at pre-wired pickguards. Finding video's and sound clips of these though seem a little rougher than I thought it would be. So I thought Id see what The Fret would suggest. Im leaning towards more of a vintage tone here are the main 3 Ive been considering.

Seymour Duncan-California 50's-SSL-1
    DiMarzio-True Velvet
    DiMarzio-Area Model

Thanks in advance, Im looking forward to getting some suggestions here.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

For three single coils the EMG Vince Gill pickguard looks pretty awesome. It has a boost circuit in it of some sort and is supposedly an awesome sounding rig. That would be a totally quiet way to roll, and Vince Gill sure makes it sound great. Check it out in the Eric Clapton produced "Crossroads" festival videos. Vince Gill is playing a black strat with a tortoise shell pickguard and black EMG single coils. It looks like a very cool guitar in the hands of a very awesome guitar player. I would expect that guitar to have plenty of twang. It is not a cheap pre-wired pickguard, however, needless to say.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the DiMarzio Area model sounds great. Haven't heard the other ones though.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say that I've heard any of the ones you've mentioned, but I've been a Seymour Duncan fan for years. Having said that, DiMarzio makes a darn good pickup as well...

Just to muddy up the waters a little more, Fender makes some great vintage sounding single coils, too. The Tex-Mex set that come installed on the Jimmy Vaughan Strat sound fantastic to my ears. One could do an ebay search and find a prewired pickguard pretty quickly.

I don't know what your budget is like, but GFS has some vintage single coils that they can wire into a pickguard for you that won't cost an arm and a leg.