Thread: What's up with the Angus Young SG signature model?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's up with the Angus Young SG signature model?

I see Angus Young's signature SG model has a whammy bar, yet I've never seen him use one live. Is this a gimmick or has he started using one?
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

According to some sites I've looked at concerning this Angus used some higher end models of the SG which had the "Lyre Vibrola" tailpiece which is a "whammy bar" system. I guess he just liked the look of the guitar and the bigger pickguard used on that model. Obviously he never used the vibrola sytem though. Cool looking guitar though.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

The whammy bar just looks so wrong on a SG if you ask me.

Just for fun, I think I'll edit a photo of Angus playing live and put a Jazzmaster, Strat, or Ibanez in his hands.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

I think the SG looks nice with that whammy bar....I saw a cheap DVD with many bands from the seventies, and the two guys of Badfinger were playing those 61-64 cherry SG's with the vibrolas hehe made me drool!

Post Thanks / Like

Really? Hmmmph... I never see them in the local guitar stores. I'd love to give one a go to see how it feels. I wish Gibsons were more affordable... I guess that's why I'm a Fender Fanatic! (Well, I prefer single coil pickups too).

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a limited edition Epiphone G-400 with the vibrola, looks really nice...I don't think the epi pickups are good at all, but with an upgrade the guitar would smoke.

Here's the link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/518079/

I'm a Fender guy too... I barely look to Epi's and Gibsons at stores

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine that those things would stay in tune worth anything.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

That's true...I don't know how efficient they are... I've read that the vintage ones ain't that good...but the thing stills nice looking to me

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pat Travers - LP Jr. Player

Yo Tone - I was browsing through my album collection, and came across Pat Travers' "Putting It Straight" LP. On the cover, Pat is playing a super nice double-cutaway Les Paul Jr. Not sure if your familiar with PT or not, but I'm sure our Canadian forum members would be.

Hey, also - in one of your recent posts (I believe on the thread about acoustic guitar strings), you'd mentioned the Eric Claptions Crossroads Festival DVD. How about giving a short review on it in HYH? I bet there'd be a ton of folks on The Fret.Net (including me) who'd like to hear a bit more about it!!
    Last edited by Nelskie; December 23rd, 2005 at 09:46 PM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like

Nelski,

I remember that Album cover from high school. A friend of mine turned me on to Pat Travers and I just loved the back cover of that LP. (after Pat's "audition" from the front of the LP) heh

If you want to hear more about the Crossroads DVD I'll post something about it on HYH for you.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

That's a sweet little axe he's playin', too, ain't it?!! A LP w/ a pair of Seth Lovers, runnin' through some Marshall stackage. No wonder the dude behind the desk looks a little "frazzed" after the audition!! That would be a crankin' set-up, for sure!

I look forward to your "Crossroads" post in HYH. Be sure to make note of your favorite performances, songs, tones, etc. Say, doesn't the Rev make an appearance on that, too?

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd uses a SG with Maestro on Freebird always.. although he is known for a Les Paul he played most early songs on one of these.. that epi is discontinued...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

My big Lynyrd favourite is/was allen collins. I have a picture of him and his Firebird, it looks like he has been consuming a lot of substances. He had a real killer sound as well.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009