Thread: New cover: Uprising by Muse

Post Thanks / Like

Default New cover: Uprising by Muse

Hey folks... we'd like to share a new tune we're wrapping up... we'd love some feedback. This one is "Uprising" by Muse. This had several challenges as you can imagine, not least being the bass tone/sound. DeeAa nailed the vocals as always and overall I think we got pretty close in the end, but as always would welcome your feedback on all aspects of the song.

http://soundcloud.com/project-43/cover-uprising

I'm exited to get the video of this one out there too. It's a MAJOR improvement over our 'Brady Squares' of past. It'll be along soon...

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer.

Post Thanks / Like

Gimme a minute! I've wanted to listen, but Mrs. Kat has been working. I'll give it a listen tonight. I dig this tune, and want to see your spin on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you guys did a very nice job with this. The bass actually sounds really good -- a lot better than I thought it would based on your comments.

The only thing I can really say could use a little help is that the chorus tends to be a little soaring in your version, rather than the pulsing sound of the original (which actually has the usual vocal histrionics of Muse, but somehow sounds a little different).

Don't let those comments make you think I'm not impressed though. The more I listened, the more I thought this was a really good cover. Awesome work all around! Thanks for posting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Eric... I hear you on the chorus section. It maybe doesn't seem to have that raw energy of the original. I think that's one of the ways recording as we do (all separately) can hold ya back at times.

Thanks for listening and commenting! And I'm looking forward to you your comments Katastrophe!

Post Thanks / Like

Listening to it now. Y'all managed to capture the ethereal keys well... I completely dig Dee's vocal. He brings an urgency that fits the mood of the song perfectly. As usual, the band is tight. The guitars are seated a little farther forward in the mix, and are a little crunchier than the original. I like it. A lot. The bass tone sounds fine through my tiny computer speakers. I hear what Eric is saying about the chorus, but I'm really sure that it detracts from the tune, at least for me.

Great job guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Katastrophe... I'm glad you liked the cover. I emulated the ethereal keys on guitar and was pretty happy myself how they came out. When we set out I wanted to make the song a bit heavier on the guitar, just to put our 'flavor' on it, but yet stay true to the original. The bass tone is double tracked.. it's a clean bass guitar and a keyboard syth (Thor MOW) blended. Craig our bass play did both tracks.

Thanks for listening!

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, I meant to say "not really sure that it detracts from the tune..." It looks like it was a case of my brain getting ahead of my fingers.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, that's funny... I guess my brain added it for you cause that's how I read it the first time.