Thread: HELP - Strange fluttering sound

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP - Strange fluttering sound

I have noticed all my amps create a fluttering sound. Like a fast tremolo noise sort of thing.

At first I thought it could be one of my pedals or the pedal power supply, but even plugging straight into the amp, the quick fluttering sound is very apparent. It is also a lot more apparent when the amp is set to use more gain.

It happens with 2 different amps, so I am wondering if it could have something do with the power in the house somehow?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Toobs, or you have some interference either from florescent lights or some other device in your home.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you forgotten to take your blood pressure medication?

Post Thanks / Like

Toobs are fine, and so is my medication!

I'll see what happens when I play in the dark... I suspect some kind of interference is what's doing this.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

"all my amps" - Yeah has to be power related. Either radiated interference from Fluro's, or something down the line from Freezers, AC, Dryers, anything that chews big power. The first question to ask yourself is "What changed in my house between when it worked fine and now".

Post Thanks / Like

Well we haven't been here long and I haven't paid attention that much until recently, because I'm about to start recording.

It's really annoying. I tried turning off all the lights but no difference. I will try a different outlet and see if any different.

I did try disconnecting any and all extension cords that were using the same outlet, but no difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on your home's location, if you are near to a transformer station, you could get inconsistent current. The voltage may dip at times and electronics can do some strange things when that happens.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Your power conditioner has gone wonky. Replace it with a new one, and all will be joy. I betcha.

Edited, because I thought about it for a few moments: Perhaps in the mythical land of Canada, you're not forced to play out at the same crappy bars we do here in the States, therefore you may not own a power conditioner. In which case, buy one. Any brand is fine, as long as it's a Furman.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa