Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Sight of the day: backyard... Big Mommy trukey with a dozen chicks...

Thread: Sight of the day: backyard... Big Mommy trukey with a dozen chicks...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sight of the day: backyard... Big Mommy trukey with a dozen chicks...

A few minutes ago, in my backyard: a big female turkey, with a dozen or more chicks.

Chicks are the size of an apple with tiny legs, and they troll behind at what seems like 60 mph..!

Quite sweet.

This is a suburban area, but fortunately, on this side of the street there is pretty much no fencing in the deep, narrow backyards. Perfect fot them to roam around and feed. Until the local foxes get wind of it.
    I saw a fox take a nap in the sun last year... quite a sight.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. But, where is the photo?

I've already seen our turkey flock too while out on a bicycle ride. I didn't have a camera with me that time but I'll get them the next time. It's the same dozen or so seen here.
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...l=1#post211781

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Cool. But, where is the photo?
    argh, Flickr Ui s*cks..

Post Thanks / Like

Try Photobucket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Flickr works well for me. Just make sure the photo or the set it is in has been set to be viewed by "Anyone" and not private.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule View Post
    Way cool. I didn't know they made turkeys that small. Kind of like Peeps.

Post Thanks / Like

Wild Turkey... Awesome bird and not a bad sippin whiskey! :-)
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Update: as per yesterday's sighting, the chicks have doubled in size!

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully they are eating all the bugs that would otherwise be making their way into your house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule View Post
    Update: as per yesterday's sighting, the chicks have doubled in size!
    Well, this is now September, and a recent sighting would indicate that there are only two surviving chicks, which have grown to 1/3 adult size...

This morning, the flock of full-grown, a good seven or eight of them, hung around the backyard - One of them was standing in the (knee-high+) birdbath... big guy! That explains why the birthbath concrete pan was knocked off a few weeks ago. We thought it may have been the black bear roaming around a neigbor town..!

That very same bear is famous for leaving Central Mass., travelling east looking for a mate, swimming across the Cape Cod canal, and continuing on all the way out to the tip of the narrow cape, becoming a celebrity. Obligatory bumper sticker "Cape Cod: Bear left!"
    Less golf, more saxophone