Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
NGD How I Joined The Revolution

Thread: NGD How I Joined The Revolution

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD How I Joined The Revolution

Today I have received the finest in Soviet electric guitar manufacturing! I had a customer in Moldova who contacted me and I made a barter deal with him. I got a Ural guitar for my part of the bargain. This thing is absolutely perfect! It looks like it just came out of the closet. It even came with the original soft case (vinyl) and strap (patent vinyl). The only problems I can see is that the strap button on the bottom is broken and some of the tuners were replaced. I know that these guitars are notorious for having broken tuners.

Now the Candid Photographs:

Here is the guitar in the motherland still

88421463 by mapka2000, on Flickr

The back

Untitled by mapka2000, on Flickr

close up of the data plate

pickups

headstock (you can see the different tuners)

case and strap

It still has the 5 pin DIN connector that the Soviets used so I cannot check out how it sounds, but from what I have been told they do not sound great and are hard to play, but when was the last time you saw one!?
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

That is AWESOME!! Man, what a score. I'd love to have something like that in the collection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    That is AWESOME!! Man, what a score. I'd love to have something like that in the collection.
    I couldn't believe how clean it was. I seen some of these on EBay and they are all pretty bad. As a musician who lives in Ukraine told me, "The only thing they are good for is to beat the audience with". Needless to say most were abused.
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Dobre Utra,

That looks KILLER!

Maladez!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like it. Very original for us Westerners.

Be warned...

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, comrade! How does it play and sound?

Those tuners look painful to use. I want to take Advil just looking at them. I'm sure they aren't actually painful, are they?

Seriously, that is a really cool looking guitar, Mark. I'm a bit envious.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    Very nice, comrade! How does it play and sound?

Those tuners look painful to use. I want to take Advil just looking at them. I'm sure they aren't actually painful, are they?

Seriously, that is a really cool looking guitar, Mark. I'm a bit envious.

Tuners on these are known to be very fragile so I have not fiddled with them yet. I doubt it will get much playing time and as I said above, according to Ukrainian musician I talked to they are better clubs then guitars. I cannot try it for myself because the proletariat decided to use a 5 pin DIN connector rather then a 1/4 plug. It is better to have 5 pins of equal importance then one controlling all. I need to build a cable or buy one off Ebay.

Post Thanks / Like

I am totally diggin' the vibrato unit... and the zero fret on that guitar, along with the pickup covers. Pretty cool find!

Post Thanks / Like

I notice a very cool looking 4 pickup stereo version on ebay right now. Looks like someone has taken off the name from the head stock, lost the coolest part (the Cyrillic neck plate) and removed the DIN and replace with a 1/4" jack. Asking 310GBP which is too much for novelty value when you add shipping to Oz though. Looks like I should have been checking out guitar shops instead of camera shops when I was in Russia.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, Tovarich!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    I am totally diggin' the vibrato unit... and the zero fret on that guitar, along with the pickup covers. Pretty cool find!
    Aparrently they used the same bridge for all the Urals. Some came with the vibrato arm and some didn't. Mine does not have it, but if I can find one it will!

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    I notice a very cool looking 4 pickup stereo version on ebay right now. Looks like someone has taken off the name from the head stock, lost the coolest part (the Cyrillic neck plate) and removed the DIN and replace with a 1/4" jack. Asking 310GBP which is too much for novelty value when you add shipping to Oz though. Looks like I should have been checking out guitar shops instead of camera shops when I was in Russia.
    That sounds like a "Stella". As far as I can tell there were two major manufactures during this period. The one that made the Ural and the other made the Aelita and Stella. I have to admit their camera's are way cool also! Not many of them have any name on the headstock and the data plates are being reproduced. Seen them on EBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    Congrats, Tovarich!
    Splasibo Tavarich! How is the record coming? Any pressings yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Now THERE'S a guitar you don't see every day! Cool pick-up, Mark!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice!!!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson