Thread: Stormy Monday

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stormy Monday

Apologies for the bum link. Edited now with one that works. Thanks for listening.

Must have been playing this song for 20 years in a dozen bands. Don't think I have ever got it right. Seems to me to be one of the toughest songs to really get nailed down. Here is our band doing it, and it works in some places, doesn't in others. Comments and suggestions welcome. I'm sure others work to get this classic right. Tips, reflections?

https://www.box.com/s/c8f153c5b259d79e706c
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Helliott, that link isn't working.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. I will fix this tonight
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great! Y'all have the mood down pat... The guitar tones are incredible. It sounds to me like y'all did a good job of leaving a lot of space in the tune. It's meant to be sparse, and your version works well.

Just got to the solo... The tone! The phrasing is spot on as well. Nice! Well done. The jazzy break was unexpected and cool.

I got nothing bad at all to say about the tune. I'd pay good money to listen in a club with a cold one.

Just finishing up listening to the tune... It didn't seem like an eight minute tune... You kept my attention the whole time. Great job!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Katasrophe. Appreciate the feedback. Perhaps it's just me being our own worst critics, but regardless we keep sluggin away to get the feel we're looking for, sort of part us and part the ABB version. We have a new drummer who seems to handle it with more confidence so we'll see how it plays out at this weekend's gig.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet playin'. I really liked that surprise uptempo jazzy part too. Damn, you are one fine git slinger.

Don't know if I heard right or maybe the quality of the recording is off.........but some of the rhythm parts in the 1-3 minute mark seemed a bit choppy? Other than that, great stuff.

Gimme a bar stool and some Old Grand Dad and I'm right there with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounded great. That was me clapping at the end.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    I'd pay good money to listen in a club with a cold one.
    Great job!
    +1! Hell Howie, I'd even buy you a beer after the gig... sounds great!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for listening, guys. Piebaldpython, you are right about the choppy rhythm at times. Part of my mild dissatisfaction with the tune, but good to know expert ears think it's ok overall. Today we trot it out with a new rhythm section. See how that goes.
    Spud, funny story about the main guy clapping and whistling. Smallish crowd, fairly engaged, but this guy was wrecked. Celebrating his birthday. Said he loved us to death and wanted to hire us to play a party after his grandkid's upcoming baby shower. We said thanks, gave him cards, told him to call us later -- figuring he was too messed up to know what he was talking about.

Dude wants us to commit. Demands to know how much we want. Disappears and returns with $500 cash. Gets nearly beligerent when we wouldn't take his money. We stuck to the position, told him to call us when he was sober. Never heard from him again. Ah, the life of a high rolling musician.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott View Post
    Spud, funny story about the main guy clapping and whistling. Smallish crowd, fairly engaged, but this guy was wrecked. Celebrating his birthday. Said he loved us to death and wanted to hire us to play a party after his grandkid's upcoming baby shower. We said thanks, gave him cards, told him to call us later -- figuring he was too messed up to know what he was talking about.

Dude wants us to commit. Demands to know how much we want. Disappears and returns with $500 cash. Gets nearly beligerent when we wouldn't take his money. We stuck to the position, told him to call us when he was sober. Never heard from him again. Ah, the life of a high rolling musician.
    See, that WAS me. Now come play the damn baby shower. and Happy Birthday to me.................now play some Skynyrd!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Spud, we don't typically do requests. But under the circumstances, here's one for the baby shower.

https://www.box.com/s/b4d9ed5a9f7852b39fed
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful playing... Such touch and feel. Very inspiring. Kudos!

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks Rockermann. Glad you enjoyed it.
    helliott in Hamilton