Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

I'm flaky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm flaky

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm flaky

Perhaps inspired by Dick Dale's "Beast", I've been very fixated on metal flake, or "sparkly" guitars lately. I also think Mark's Ural had something to do with it, although it's not sparkly. Something about that vintage look that reminds me of carnival rides, replete with the smell of elephant ears, corndogs, cotton candy, and vomit-soaked sawdust. Here are some examples of my latest GAS fixation:

I've got it bad. I may need to self-medicate soon.

Anybody have any Flake/Sparkle guitars here? I'd love to see pics!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a black sparkle Dusenberg in the local CL.

Only about $1,200 or so.

I'm sort of itching for a CAR or Lake Placid Blue B&B jazz bass.

However, with my CV capably handling jazz bass tones, it's hard to justify yet another bass.

Post Thanks / Like

The Squier strat I recently sold to a friend has a black sparkle finish. It looked quite cool.

Post Thanks / Like

How's this for a metal flake..

[IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

slight veer here....shocker I know.

you show an Italia Moderna above, a guitar I'd never heard of until recently when my buddy, plays guitar in my band, found this at a local resale shop.....An Italia Mondial

bought it, took it to a tech, had it gone over, set up for slide in open G, disconnected the piezo's and associated controls, so it's a standard dual HB setup. Plays it through a '74 Deluxe Reverb and into a Marshall 212 cab....sounds spectacular!

Dude is 6'9", so the size was a bonus....he downplays what might be a bit overwhelming on another person.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    slight veer here....shocker I know.

you show an Italia Moderna above, a guitar I'd never heard of until recently when my buddy, plays guitar in my band, found this at a local resale shop.....An Italia Mondial

bought it, took it to a tech, had it gone over, set up for slide in open G, disconnected the piezo's and associated controls, so it's a standard dual HB setup. Plays it through a '74 Deluxe Reverb and into a Marshall 212 cab....sounds spectacular!

Dude is 6'9", so the size was a bonus....he downplays what might be a bit overwhelming on another person.
    I saw a demo of that guitar on the ProGuitarShop site. Great demo by the famous Andy. They have more than a few sparkle-laden guitars there, and they're just up the road in Portland. I may have to stop in there sometime this summer.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, I love sparkly guitars! Probably has something to do with the sparkle Telecasters that Don Rich played with Buck Owens.

I don't usually go for flashy in my guitars, but for some reason the flaky ones do look cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    Dude, I love sparkly guitars! Probably has something to do with the sparkle Telecasters that Don Rich played with Buck Owens.

I don't usually go for flashy in my guitars, but for some reason the flaky ones do look cool!

-Sean

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have one of these: http://www.heartfield-central.com/pi...on4/i10338.jpg

It was stolen from me. Great guitar. The one on the picture isn't mine, but identical. You can't really tell from the picture, but it's sparkly. Very sparkly.

Skickat från min GT-I9103 via Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
    I used to have one of these:

It was stolen from me. Great guitar. The one on the picture isn't mine, but identical. You can't really tell from the picture, but it's sparkly. Very sparkly.

Skickat från min GT-I9103 via Tapatalk 2
    Nice!
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    Nice!
    Yeah. I really miss that guitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    How's this for a metal flake..

[IMG]
    Doesn't get much flakier than that!
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't get much flakier than that!
    ..or funkier.

That one practically begs for some Larry Graham style funk slapping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Reverend Sensei RT in silver sparkle is in my short list for the next guitar.

However, I'll need to do a little trading for the next guitar, and a Gretsch Electromatic G5438T Pro Jet with black top filtertrons will be easier to demo and buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son View Post
    Yep, saw that this morning, Ron. If only I had the cash...

There was also a beautiful Gretsch Electromatic for $300 in Portland, but someone scooped that up. It looked just like the one on the right in the photo Doug posted above.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, saw that this morning, Ron. If only I had the cash...

There was also a beautiful Gretsch Electromatic for $300 in Portland, but someone scooped that up. It looked just like the one on the right in the photo Doug posted above.
    It was likely one of the slightly older models. They have a head stock binding, but the not so good pickups. The new Electromatic Pro Jets will have the great sounding black top Filter'Tron pickups. I demoed one Saturday, and wow, this guitar sounds great! Very warm, with a broader range than any I've ever played. It plays country twang dead on, and pulls off jazz, blues, and rock convincingly as well. (stay tuned )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    It was likely one of the slightly older models. They have a head stock binding, but the not so good pickups. The new Electromatic Pro Jets will have the great sounding black top Filter'Tron pickups. I demoed one Saturday, and wow, this guitar sounds great! Very warm, with a broader range than any I've ever played. It plays country twang dead on, and pulls off jazz, blues, and rock convincingly as well. (stay tuned )
    I feel an impending NGD announcement coming on...

I've had a little bit of Filtertron GAS lately, perhaps because I don't own anything with that style pickup. I'd love a La Cabronita, but those are not cheap. Actually, most of the guitars I see with either Filtertrons or the TV Jones equivalent are a bit spendy. Someday, though.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I feel an impending NGD announcement coming on...
    Huh? That obvious, eh?
    All I'll say is I like my local independent shop that does lay-away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast