Thread: Newbie from Vancouver!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Newbie from Vancouver!

Okay, Vancouver-ish. Technically, I live in White Rock, BC, which is the Southest-Westest corner of mainland Canada and just a pick's flick from the U.S. border.

I recently discovered this site after becoming enthralled with Hell Guitars (the site's backstory lead me here).

I've owned several guitars over the past 20 years. Every former guitar I regret (either owning or selling). My current inventory is down to 2: a Seagull S6 Cedar and a Reverend Volcano with Railhammer Hyper Vintage pickups.

That's about it.

Oh, and as I turn 40, I've decided to learn music theory and read music that isn't tabalature. So there's that.

Wish me luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Fret, Dave! We have plenty of Canucks here.
    We also have a few Reverend fans as well. How do you like those Railhammer Hyper Vintage pickups?
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: the Railhammer pickups... Despite my mediocre skill, I get the whole "no mud" sales pitch by Joe Naylor. Strumming isn't a total washout or vague sound blur at higher pickup volumes. I used to cheat on some chords, playing only the bottom 4 strings when I wanted more clarity or chime. I don't do that anymore.

The Hyper Vintage are the 'truest' humbucker in the RH lineup--very much a classic rock vibe. Would love to hear them in a Les Paul belting out "Whipping Post." The others RHs (aka, Chisel and Anvil) appear better suited for metal and shredding, and not my thing.

As much as I appreciate RH's quality, I kinda sorta resent the fact that they're more articulate and less forgiving. They make my amp sound better and my fingers worse. The $180 may have been better spent on lessons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Final thoughts on Railhammers: I think they're more than a gimmick. Joe Naylor may really be on to something. Innovation doesn't have to be brand spanking new. Looking at the status quo from a fresh new point-of-view or connecting 2 dots that no one else has can be quite powerful. When you see the byproduct of true genius for the first time, you usually say to yourself: "That's brilliant! And so simple! Why didn't I think of that?"

Another subtle success of the Railhammer design is that they require no explanation. Anyone with modest guitar knowledge will look at an RH pickup and think: "Oh, I see what going on there. Hmm, that could work."

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I'm in Alberta. Camrose!

I'm a Reverend Hellhound owner. Killer amph.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome! I am a Tacoma native and love BC. don't get up there as much as I would like but it sure is beautiful!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you all. I feel welcomed already.

I've also skimmed a few threads that piqued my interest. I'm going to like it here. The posters do not appear to be high-octane *****ers or inherently argumentative (so far).

I like that. Alternate opinions must be respected or appreciated on some level if we're to evolve as a species.

"The enemy is a very good teacher." -Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings, Dave, from another resident of the Pacific Northwet. Yep, this is one of the most level-headed groups of guitarists on the web, so you won't see very many strident arguments about "tonewood", better tone from bone nuts, etc.. In fact, there have been threads about changing one's mind about previous beliefs. Kinda cool.

Post Thanks / Like

White Rock! That brings back memories. Back around 1981 or so, some friends and I visited Vancouver from Portland, OR and on the way back to the US had the most wonderful breakfast at White Rock overlooking the bay there.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Fret Dave... another Canucklehead here!
    Cheers!
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard! I remember going up to White Rock to drink a few times before I was legal in the US. That was a loooooooonnnnnnggggg time ago.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome david here i am rex from uk. Hope will spent lot of good time here

Plastic shredder

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Dave! This is a great group of true geetar and geer enthusiasts. I've made many online friends here. Oh, I'm a Canuckle-head too

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I'm late to the party, but welcome to the forum Dave.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.