Thread: My first ever piece of vintage equipment

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first ever piece of vintage equipment

I have always wanted a full tube amp and I've been really getting sick of the lack of character I was getting from my Randall RG200G3. I mean it's great for rock and metal type genres...but not that great for country styles.

So I've been saving up for a Vox AC30 Custom Classic 2 to replace the Randall, but last night the lead singer/rhythm guitarist from my band asked if I wanted to swap my Randall for his Fender Twin Reverb, so as anyone would I jumped at the opportunity of basically getting a free amp. I got it home and checked the serial and if the serial number is anything to go from it was made in 1974! Its been really well looked after and sounds great! Its a fair amount heavier than my Randall but I had a trolley made for my amp and it fits it just fine.

I definitely got the better end of the deal here I think :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats on the nice score! I bet that will be a great amph for you!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

You scored bigtime!! This is me being green with envy...

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Twin in the 60s. Good luck getting that mofo to give some good tube breakup without blowing your eardrums out, peeling the paint off the walls, and making every dog within a mile howl with pain. Great amps!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys Im really really happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son
    I had a Twin in the 60s. Good luck getting that mofo to give some good tube breakup without blowing your eardrums out, peeling the paint off the walls, and making every dog within a mile howl with pain. Great amps!
    You're so right! My twin is 135 watts XD its pretty crazy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice trade! I would have jumped on it, too.
    I know Twins are crazy loud, but you'll never run out of clean headroom! Dirt pedals come in handy for driven tones. A Wampler Paisley Drive would be the perfect fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new amp! You can never go wrong with a Fender Twin. They have plenty of volume, a big full sound, gorgeous reverb, and they take pedals extremely well. When I was at the South-by-Southwest show in Austin earlier this year, Fender Twin Reverbs were used on nearly every stage there for all sorts of bands. Each band brought their own pedal boards to get their individual distortion sounds and other effects.

I've gone with a Fender + pedal board setup myself. I just bought a 65 Reissue Fender Super Reverb and I'm really enjoying it. I was considering a reissue Twin also.
    When I was in high school and college I had a silver-face twin (much like the one you now have). I used it for everything and it held up extremely well. I should have never sold it.

--Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats and nice score. I've got to throw up a +1 for old clean amps + Pedals. My JTM45 makes dirt pedals sound amazing! Appreciably better than my Peavey Ultra. (The Peavey does do low volume tube crunch far better though)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys The Twin makes my OCD pedal sound a lot different to when it was through my Randall. Through the Randall it sounded nice and thick and warm, but through the Twin it sounds thinner and less rocky. Could it be that the Twin needs a good clean or new tubes etc? I've never had a full tube amp before so its all new to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It may just take time learning to adjust the EQ.

Not everyone was in love with the early to mid 70's Twin's speakers, so some people have replaced them. Other owners have even modded theirs to black face spec's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    It may just take time learning to adjust the EQ.

Not everyone was in love with the early to mid 70's Twin's speakers, so some people have replaced them. Other owners have even modded theirs to black face spec's.
    Thats true. I love the way it sounds clean its just got a really different sound with the OCD. Its just not as ballsy as Um used to hearing it. Im sure itl just take some more experimenting to get it right as its a totally differently voiced amp to the Randall that I've had for 4 years

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!

That sounds like a great swap. You definitely came out good on the deal. Silverface Twins are completely different from what you're used to, so much so that the more time you play, you might notice your style change as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, BT! I'm glad that you got a true tube amp and you clearly made out well on the trade. Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    Congrats!

That sounds like a great swap. You definitely came out good on the deal. Silverface Twins are completely different from what you're used to, so much so that the more time you play, you might notice your style change as well.
    I'm definitely noticing a biiig change in my style, but its completely in the direction that I was hoping it would go. All my country licks FINALLY sound twangy and tele like rather than clean rock haha.

Im definitely digging the vintage sound of the Twin Reverb