Thread: Looking to buy my first guitar. Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking to buy my first guitar. Any advice?

Well I have only been playing for about two months now but im tired of borrowing my friends guitar. Ive made alot of progress and think its time to get my own. I was thinking about Yamaha or Fender. I found a nice starter Fender for $200 so Id love to hear advice. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend buying a new guitar for the first one... Why?

1. New guitars bought at a reputable store can be returned if there is an issue.
    2. Many stores will set up the guitar with new strings at purchase (or for a really small fee).

That said, the Yamaha Pacifica series is a good one, and super affordable. A friend of mine has one, and it sounds and plays just fine. One of the tuners is loose, but it still works after a number of years.

These days, I'm a Squier fan, though. Squier just came out with a bunch of Vintage Modified Stratocasters for $249. http://www.fender.com/products/index...%C2%AE+Guitars

You may also want to look at Rondo Music, specifically at the SX line of guitars. VERY affordable, with a great return policy. SX makes a good guitar, with good fit and finish. Look here: http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

With cheaper guitars, manufacturers have to cut corners somewhere to control cost. Tuners, pots, and pickups are usually the first to get replaced with cheaper components. Quality control can be spotty as well, so it may take some searching to find a good one. Make sure that any guitar you evaluate is set up properly before making a judgement. Good luck with the search!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks man ill take a look at these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Howdy, sportnut!
    Are you looking for an acoustic or electric guitar?

What types of music would you be interested in playing? (classic rock, metal, country, folk, blues, jazz, etc.)

Also, be sure to check out some of the older threads that are full of helpful advice.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, Tig, here I go all making recommendations and didn't event think that the OP wouldn't be getting an electric, or may not be playing rock or blues music!

Post Thanks / Like

My usual recommendation for a first guitar is for it to be a decent acoustic, which will serve for years to come, is easily portable, etc.. Assuming, of course, that you don't have a specific desire for an electric and/or plans to play in an electric band in short order. A decent new acoustic can be had for as little as $250 (even less), and can serve as a solid foundation, as well as something that can be left in a convenient location to just be picked up and played whenever the mood strikes. I often practice or learn new songs just because my dreadnought is just sitting there in my home office, waiting to be played.

Post Thanks / Like

Electric: Any of the Fender/Squire Classic Vibe series, if found used (good luck...) would be great quality in the minus $300 range.
    Or, like I did, score a PRS Soapbar II, a seriously bad *** guitar that can be found used for under 3.
    Acoustic: No clue. Do they still make them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Electric: Echo all the CV Squire strat or tele talk, or take a look at Tig's for not much more. Seriously. That is a nice looking guitar for the price!

Acoustic: That is where most folks start but certainly not all. If you do go acoustic, consider an OM or 00 or even jumbo size rather than full dreadnought. A whole lot easier for the beginning guitarist to hold and play IMO.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Get something that is decent and makes you want to okay it. There are so many nice guitars that its worth finding a body style you like then narrow it down.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I do want an acoustic to start. I was at guitar center today playing some guitars and course the ones I like are $3000 Martins. But I'm in no rush to find one. Whenever it feels right ill get one. I havent really narrowed down an individual brand besides yamaha and fender but are there brands that may be easier for beginner guitar? Low action and such? Anyway I'll keep looking I dont want to force myself to buy one that i dont like.

Thanks for the help guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Almost any guitar, if not defective, can be made to play well. Some may come out of the box playing well, but I'd say that would be the exception. The lowering of an acoustic guitar bridge saddle (and nut, if necessary) is a routine and inexpensive (sometimes provided at no extra charge by the dealer) procedure for setting up optimal action. There are many reasonably-priced guitars which are directly comparable to Yamaha and Fender in quality, and will offer just as much. I'd recommend that you not sweat too much about getting the "perfect" first guitar, as your knowledge and personal preferences will develop over the long-haul (as you might expect), affecting your future choices. $200-300 (new) will get you one of many perfectly-acceptable guitars for your purposes. I've been playing for almost 50 years, but am very satisfied with my $250 Art & Lutherie acoustic dreadnought.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son View Post
    Almost any guitar, if not defective, can be made to play well. Some may come out of the box playing well, but I'd say that would be the exception. The lowering of an acoustic guitar bridge saddle (and nut, if necessary) is a routine and inexpensive (sometimes provided at no extra charge by the dealer) procedure for setting up optimal action. There are many reasonably-priced guitars which are directly comparable to Yamaha and Fender in quality, and will offer just as much. I'd recommend that you not sweat too much about getting the "perfect" first guitar, as your knowledge and personal preferences will develop over the long-haul (as you might expect), affecting your future choices. $200-300 (new) will get you one of many perfectly-acceptable guitars for your purposes. I've been playing for almost 50 years, but am very satisfied with my $250 Art & Lutherie acoustic dreadnought.
    Agree with that ^
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.