Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Christmas Music

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some Christmas Music

Hi Everyone,

I've really been looking forward to doing some more home recording lately. I've been going through some rough times lately and there's nothing like playing a little guitar to lift the spirits.

I've always loved to play instrumental Christmas tunes on the guitar. I've been working on several arrangements to get them good enough to record them. I have posted a couple of these solo guitar pieces on my music site:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=301718

I hope that you enjoy them. I'm still not playing these as clean as I would like but I figured that I should go ahead and put them out there.

I recorded the acoustic tune on my beloved Martin, which I've been rediscovering lately. I recorded the electric tune over a year ago with my Hamer Newport, which worked suprisingly well as a solo instrument.

Thanks, -- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

2. Likes Algonquin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice arrangements Jim... thanks for the spirit of Christmas... was a joy to listen to..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Jim! I´m glad to hear your guitar again!

Both songs were great, but I missed some christmas sleighbells on the first one!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

The Christmas Song is my favorite holiday tune and you did it proud. I really enjoyed your playing and sound on every song.
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim!! I was trimming the tree yesterday & for some reason couldn't find our box of Christmas CD's. So I put on the Old 97's. My wife said that although the Old 97's are good, it is not quite the same thing.

It's nice to hear your tunes, *now* it seems like Christmas.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    Hi Everyone,

I've really been looking forward to doing some more home recording lately. I've been going through some rough times lately and there's nothing like playing a little guitar to lift the spirits.

I've always loved to play instrumental Christmas tunes on the guitar. I've been working on several arrangements to get them good enough to record them. I have posted a couple of these solo guitar pieces on my music site:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=301718

I hope that you enjoy them. I'm still not playing these as clean as I would like but I figured that I should go ahead and put them out there.

I recorded the acoustic tune on my beloved Martin, which I've been rediscovering lately. I recorded the electric tune over a year ago with my Hamer Newport, which worked suprisingly well as a solo instrument.

Thanks, -- Jim

Wow Jim! Just beautiful. I especially like your take on Christmas Time is Here. I love the quiet, (almost melancholy but not quite), peace of that tune. I hope you take some peace in sharing your gift with us.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for listening to the tunes guys. I appreciate it.

That "Christmas Time is Here" tune is one of my favorite songs of all time, but it is a real pain to play on guitar. I've been working on that arrangement for about 1 year, and still trying to work out all the kinks in it. But I love songs like that where the chord changes themselves are so nice, it makes it worthwhile to try to work them up as a solo arrangement. I remember seeing the Charlie Brown Christmas Special when I was a little kid, and I always thought that this song was the best one in that show, next to "Linus and Lucy".

-- Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely lovely!

Great playing and great production.

My wife listened with me, and she is now digging out our Christmas music.

Merry Christmas, Jim!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Plank Spanker,

I just uploaded another tune that I've been working on, "Jingle Bell Rock". I've been working up a sort of Chet Atkins style arrangement of that tune. It still needs some cleaning up but I thought that I should include that one too.

-- Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I love your style of playing Jim. Looks to me you accomplshed your wish to arranmge and play a few Christmas songs.

I enjoyed the other songs you had posted too. I really like the beat. I hope you guitar playing is helping you through your difficulties.

Merry Christmas to you and your's Jim.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Great!

Hi, Jim.
    Thanks so much, I needed that!
    The Christmas Song... I closed my eyes and sat here smiling.
    Christmas Time Is Here... got big tears in my eyes...don't know why exactly.
    Jingle Bell Rock...grinning from ear to ear... wonderful
    Since my mom's stroke, and subsequent "episodes", with her slowly getting worse, the holidays have been a little tough for me also. I just wanted to let you know your music has really helped, and I'm very happy you took the time to share that with us. Sometimes, hearing someone else playing can ease a burden. And it did, for me, not once, but three times... so thanks again, and I wish you and your family all the best, and you are all in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you, Jim.
    Glenn
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Glenn,

That's one of the nicest things that anyone has ever said about my recordings. Thanks so much.

All the best to you and your family for Christmas too!

-- Jim

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet arrangements, Jim! Did you come with all of those yourself? Very impressive. I can't play stuff like that.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice playing Jim.

Few of my buddies who listened to it liked it too. I just remembered it was Christmas season in this part of the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Robert! I really appreciate it.

The arrangement for "The Christmas Song" is not mine but I did come up with the arrangements for the other tunes.

"The Christmas Song" arrangement was done by one of my previous guitar teachers, Pat McCauley. He was a master of that style of solo Jazz playing and he taught me that arrangement. It took me a long time to learn how to play it, and even longer to understand all the harmony in the chord changes that he used. It's still the most difficult tune for me to play in my list of solo guitar arrangements. I pull that tune out every year and re-learn it for the holidays. I finally sat down this year and created the tab for this tune so that I could teach it to other people. I'd be happy to share the tab for this song if anyone is interested in learning it.

I've been working on the arrangements for the other tunes for over 1 year now. I've been trying to learn how to do more of those techniques with harp harmonics that I hear Chet Atkins and Lenny Breau do so I put those into the arrangement for "Christmas Time is Here".

Thanks again, -- Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Jim that is a great treat! Very nice indeed this has really lifted my spirits, I will definately be playing these some more. You have a nice feel for guitar and a beautiful sound.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

M29

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jim, my instructor has assigned Jingle Bell Rock as a student group project to perform as a group this coming Christmas season. I was re-listening to your wonderful recordings for inspiration. Yours sounds to my ear to track the 1957 sheet music I was given using C, Csharp/dim, Dm7, G7, etc. Is that the case? I don't mean you are playing those exact chord structures, but generally the key, etc?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Oh WOW Jim that was awesome!!! Great playing and arrangement...and I love Christmas music! Made my day totally thanks!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for digging these songs up and listenting to them again. It's hard to believe that I was working on these nearly 1 year ago.

In terms of the arrangement, I was trying to copy the same arrangement that I'd learned with a cover band that I'd played with, but I did change the key to A so that I could use some open string voicings to help out with covering the melody and keeping the bass line going. I find that I need to do that when I'm trying get that Chet Atkins alternating bass style going. When you find the right key for the song you can take advantage of open string voicings to get cover alot more ground.

You're right about the chord changes only changing it to the key of A.
    Good luck on your performance!

-- Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast