Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Sea of bees

Thread: Sea of bees

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sea of bees

Got out for a mountain bike ride late today despite the mid 90 degree temperature. I came into this field and initially thought, "wow, a sea of yellow." I stopped to take a picture and then noticed that it sounded like I was next to a transformer station. There were hundreds of bees at work here and the air smelled like sugar. I got lucky that no bees went into my jersey. I hate it when that happens. Sea of bees.

This is the late afternoon remnant of a huge fire we had just on the south edge of town. The smoke filled the sky all afternoon and bomber planes were constantly making drops from around noon till 8 pm. I haven't heard much about it but I could tell by the color of smoke that some houses were likely lost.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Update on the fire:

POCATELLO — At least 10 homes were destroyed as flames licked down hillsides in the Gibson Jack, Johnny Creek and Mink Creek areas Thursday afternoon. A blaze which reportedly began in the Charlotte Road area of Mink Creek about 2:30 p.m. and quickly spread —fueled by bone dry grass and junipers and driven by wind gusts in the 90 degree heat of the afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

As of this morning 20 homes have been destroyed.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, that is sad. So many forest fires these days.

I saw on the weather channel 70% of them are started by lightning.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Spud, it's a beautiful picture but absolutely terrifying to me as I'm allergic to bees. I suppose seeing a photo is far better for me than having encountered the real thing as you did. I'd likely have had an anxiety attack.

Post Thanks / Like

That's some very pretty country Spud. I wish I were riding there.

Very sad about the lost homes. The general increase in wildfires is consistent with climate change predictions and may get even worse.

Except maybe here. I don't think you could start a fire with a blowtorch. Loads of rain and temps in the mid-50s to mid-60s.

I'm beginning to suspect that climate change means more precipitation for us along with cooler summer temps, but warmer winter temps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

"Sea of Bees" would be a good album name.

That reminds me of a place along the Frio River I camped at near Concan in central Texas. There were these bushes full of little flowers, and thousands of honey bees. The continuous buzzing sound was amazing and a little scary. We had to walk fairly close, so I learned to really relax and not generate any pheromones!

I've never been stung by a bee, so I have no idea if I'm allergic. My sister is, so that might be an indicator.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE:

66 homes and 20 buildings were consumed by the fire.

Cause of the fire is still unknown, but this close to the 4th of July...

We've had a dry winter and spring with a lot of wind. The temps haven't really gotten very high but the constant winds have dried things out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sad news. So much loss. Colorado has had it bad, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Sad news. So much loss. Colorado has had it bad, too.
    A bit of understatement. Colorado is having its worst fire season ever. It's very, very bad there from what I've seen on the news.

I recall a few years ago it seemed that about half of Australia burned up.