Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

NGD : Mosrite-type. NEW PICS!!!!

Thread: NGD : Mosrite-type. NEW PICS!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD : Mosrite-type. NEW PICS!!!!

I've been wanting a Mosrite Ventures model for a while, a few years at least. The real thing = lots of $, so...which knockoff to get?

I'd been looking at the Eastwood Sidejacks, but had read some mixed reviews. Someone on the AGF forum posted that they'd tried the Sidejack side by side with an Aria DM-380 (A.K.A Diamond). The Diamond was judged to be superior and for less money. I started looking with intention at that point, and found one on Amazon for $234 in my favorite finish for this model, CAR (Candy Apple Red). I worked an extra on-call shift a few weeks ago to earn the extra money, and then promptly ordered it on payday. It got here just over a week ago.

Aria Dm-380 (Diamond) still in the box. by FrankenFretter, on Flickr

I inspected it thoroughly upon arrival, and found no flaws. Fit and finish are perfect. There was a slight buzz around the 5th fret area when I first got it, but after a string change and an extra spring in the tremolo, the buzz is gone. No sharp frets, no wonkiness in the controls, no issues with the nut. The stock P90s are fine, but nothing to get too horny over. Nice, but just average nice, not outstanding. Brighter than my Tele Custom II, but not quite as "ballsy".

Untitled by FrankenFretter, on Flickr

I believe that I'll take the pickups out of my Tele and throw them in this Diamond. I will use my new Harpmaster True Vintage P90s in the Tele. That's what I'm thinking at this point, anyway.

I'll post better pics later, this is all I have at the moment. She's a beauty, that's for sure!

More photos, finally have some real summer weather here:

Last edited by FrankenFretter; July 8th, 2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Added new photos!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a beauty.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice acquisition! I wish you years of enjoyment with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quite cool ! Have you played Walk Don't Run on it yet? Seeing a Mosrite brings back a good memory - the very first good guitar I played was a Mosrite (a real one; this was the 60s). I was hanging out in my favorite Philly music store (Zapf's) when the Mosrite rep came in to sell his line. He invited me to play the sample he had with him. It totally blew me away.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know any surf music...yet. I do have a ton of Ventures stuff, so I'll have to find something that seems about my speed and work on that.

Street price for a new Mosrite similar to the Aria is over $3K. Used Ventures models from the 60s run a little less, but not much. I couldn't justify spending that much on something that only gets played in my attic. This Aria is definitely fun to play, and after the addition of the additional spring in the trem, it's working very smoothly without going out of tune.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very cool!

I saw an Aria bass in Mosrite configuration on CL recently, but I couldn't even consider it right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Very cool!

I saw an Aria bass in Mosrite configuration on CL recently, but I couldn't even consider it right now.
    Hello Music had the DMB-380 (the bass that matches) for less than $200 a few days ago. I don't have the free cash for that right now either, but that's a good price.

Doug, I think I'm anticipating your upcoming NGD almost as much as you are. Those Gretschs are beautiful.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! I'm a Mosrite fan too! By coincidence I recently picked up an old (1970) Matsumoku-made Aria Mosrite bass copy for ubercheap (seller was primarily a keyboardist, bless his pointy li'l head).

For some reason the current Aria bass uses a Jazz Bass pickup configuration, iirc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    Congrats! I'm a Mosrite fan too! By coincidence I recently picked up an old (1970) Matsumoku-made Aria Mosrite bass copy for ubercheap (seller was primarily a keyboardist, bless his pointy li'l head).

For some reason the current Aria bass uses a Jazz Bass pickup configuration, iirc.
    Cool bass, Brian! Yes, the new ones look like this:

Still, not bad.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    Cool bass, Brian! Yes, the new ones look like this:

Still, not bad.
    Nuttin' wrong with jazz bass pickups.

Except that they should reside in a jazz bass!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Sean. I have a couple of Ventures songs written out I'll PDF to you (Walk Don't Run and The Lonely Bull)! We'll make a Venture out of you still! :-)
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mapka View Post
    Very nice Sean. I have a couple of Ventures songs written out I'll PDF to you (Walk Don't Run and The Lonely Bull)! We'll make a Venture out of you still! :-)
    Thanks, Mark. Looking forward to it!

I find that I tend to turn up the reverb a lot when I play this one. It begs for cleans with lots of reverb. Now I need a tremolo pedal...
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, Sean. Congrats!

Several times I've nearly bought a reissue model myself. Perhaps I will someday.

The Ventures were huge in Japan and the real deal Mosrites bring in top dollar (err...yen!)
    The one one with the case on this page, http://www.tcgakki.com/search/?resul...FQ4rpAodn1UwCg goes for around $15,000!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    Thanks, Mark. Looking forward to it!

I find that I tend to turn up the reverb a lot when I play this one. It begs for cleans with lots of reverb. Now I need a tremolo pedal...
    Can help you with that Sean! :-)
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo View Post
    Very nice, Sean. Congrats!

Several times I've nearly bought a reissue model myself. Perhaps I will someday.

The Ventures were huge in Japan and the real deal Mosrites bring in top dollar (err...yen!)
    The one one with the case on this page, http://www.tcgakki.com/search/?resul...FQ4rpAodn1UwCg goes for around $15,000!
    Thanks, Michael!
    Most of the original Ventures models I found on US eBay were more in the 2-3k range, but I don't think I saw any with cases. I do really like the Ventures model Mosrites, but if I were going to spend that much, it would probably be for a vintage Tele or LP.

Quote Originally Posted by mapka View Post
    Can help you with that Sean! :-)
    Oh yeah, that's right! Might take you up on that sometime in the not-so-distant future!
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Default New photos added 7/7/12

Finally got some outside shots, posted above in first post. Summer finally reached Oregon, apparently.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

NICE AXE congrats!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It reminds me of my first electric - a Univox Hi-Flyer. Somehow, the strat-style bridge puts me off a little. I wish they offered a different tailpiece; either the classic Jag/Jazzmaster style from the Univox, or a Bigsby type, like on Mosrites.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    It reminds me of my first electric - a Univox Hi-Flyer. Somehow, the strat-style bridge puts me off a little. I wish they offered a different tailpiece; either the classic Jag/Jazzmaster style from the Univox, or a Bigsby type, like on Mosrites.
    I had a JM type trem on an SX I owned, and I hated it. Buzz city. Bigsby would be nice, but I'm okay with the two-point Strat type.
    -Sean