Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

New Decadent Guitar Project - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Decadent Guitar Project

Post Thanks / Like

nice seeing this come together.

Post Thanks / Like

The pickup choices will be through the custom hand-made Hungarian company SublimePickups.com . The neck position will be Deep Ocean Blue; the bridge position will be Distant Land; the middle pickup will be a MiniMonster usually preserved for the bridge position in a single coil, but with it's mid position it will provide a true single tone when combined with the other pickups, rich in mids and thick. Here is a write-up of the pickups:

DISTANT LAND: Strange structure, neodymium-driven, almost-humbucker sized, noiseless pickup. The name tells all: It does not sound like a single coil, neither humbucker. Though, sweet tonal balance, and blasting, wide-range punch is awaiting for the brave who dare to play with the Distant Land. Might be an alternative for a P90, as can be fit into a dogear or a soapbar P90 cover. Play it nice, it will ring and sing...but hit it hard: the answer will not be so polite.

DEEP OCEAN BLUE: Bright and vivid hi-fi sound with soft, full lows and bell like highs. From clean sounds through biting crunch to the high-gain solos, it can do all.

MINI-MONSTER: This singlebucker family is born to raise hell, give 'em sweet distortion and they will do your every bidding. Of course they can be tamed to produce some nice cleans, especially the Minimonster Jazz at the neck, it has a soft, rounded sound with a modest bell-like ring to it. If you take a Stratocaster with three single-coils, put a Minimonster Bloody at the bridge to have a wild hugemidrange scream punch, big output and some nice singing lead sounds at your disposal. If you don't need that much power you can't go wrong with the Minimonster Crunch, it has enough in it to get that sweet legendary rock tones, it's also a perfect choice for the middle position. Thanks to their unique magnetic structure and the high-tech materials used, the Minimonsters have an unmistakable, very characteristic sound. They are really responsive to different playing styles.

Post Thanks / Like

Project still under way... some pictures to come.

The paintjob will be done by www.ripcc.com, a custom auto paint company that has been featured several times in LowRider magazine. The finish will not by typical of guitars.

The truss rod cover and back trem cover will be metal and custom engraved by
    www.eddyshandengraving.com

Post Thanks / Like

The pickups have been potted and the humbucker covers were recently received
    from the engravers. www.SublimePickups.com

Post Thanks / Like

My strap is on the way, from AlligatorJakes.com .... hornback alligator in dark sport rust:

Post Thanks / Like

I just received my solid silver Treasure Tone pick:

http://www.timber-tones-shop.com/solid-silver-plectrum-234-p.asp

OK, I know this is a costly plectrum (although it would last years longer than bags of plastic or nylon picks), but the tone and dynamics that jump out with this pick is incredible! Everything sounds more defined and in your face as it cuts through the mix better than with other picks I have tried, ranging from acrylic to various woods, to plastic, etc.

The weight of the pick also seems to help you maintain control over the strings, and it makes it easier to adjust from soft to loud playing. I had favorite plectrums in the past, but this one beats them all!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's on the first page of this thread... a photo of the solid silver
    'leaf' peg heads I'm having made for the guitar (via Argentariis.com). The
    metalsmith sent me a photo of a wax model they use as a mold for casting.

Post Thanks / Like

I assume this guitar will never leave your home since it costs a fortune. My Squier '51 cost less than that pick!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I have a little home studio... I don't play in clubs or anything. Private collection.

Post Thanks / Like

These are the custom pickups (sans middle pickup for now); engraved chrome
    with a skull at the neck and my initials (BDJ) at the bridge:

Coming from Hungary... www.SublimePickups.com ; this guy does
    incredible custom work, including 8-string guitar pickups.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: Strap arrived!

Although photos of the strap were sent to me prior to shipping, I was not prepared for what I saw and felt as it came out of the box. The quality of craftsmanship, the three-dimensional texture, and the depth of color impressed me as much as any quality guitar (custom or stock) that I have seen – yes, I’m comparing the eye-popping appearance of this strap to that of a guitar! As well, I’ve purchased quality stock guitar straps, and had a few made, but Alligator Jakes have taken the meaning of ‘custom guitar strap’ to a completely different level. What I did not expect was the dual-layer of hide for added rigidity and toughness, nor the soft faux-fur padding along the inside to increase comfort while playing even the heaviest of guitars.

ADDENDUM: I was informed that the plush padding is, in fact, New Zealand lamb wool.

Post Thanks / Like

Onto the fretboard layout and orientation for the vine of life inlay (via www.luthiersupply.com). Will also have stainless steel frets.

Post Thanks / Like

Update on the fretboard inlay:

"After 2 hours, I have 1/2 of the inlay positioned. (over 100 individual pieces). Next is to place the last pieces and adjust the position of everything one at a time to get the centering and spacing correct. Then tack with a drop of glue, score the outline into the fingerboard. Then on to the routing. I’ll check in with a photo in the next day or two."

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen Casper in the midst of laying out the fretboard on ebony. Next steps
    include scoring the wood, routing, then gluing.

Post Thanks / Like

With this being a Vai concept guitar (taken to the extremes in ornamentation), here is the knob concept (for volume and tone), with Vai's symbol engraved.

This is being done by www.Argentariis.com (silversmiths and guitar players!).

Post Thanks / Like

Another update: The knobs will not have a flat top, but more of a leaf
    formation (to match the peg heads), and the inside edge will have a vine scroll
    to compliment the fretboard inlay.

Post Thanks / Like

Finalized...

Last edited by Brian Johnston; September 13th, 2012 at 05:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It will surely be a real piece of Art and Heart, looks gorgeous I hope you'll send a picture to Steve Vai to see his reaction
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Fretboard inlay done... stainless steel frets to follow:

Not sure how to get ahold of Vai, since emails to his website go unanswered.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast