Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Belated gig superfun fotobomb threadification w/usual ridiculous pix

Thread: Belated gig superfun fotobomb threadification w/usual ridiculous pix

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Belated gig superfun fotobomb threadification w/usual ridiculous pix

So last Monday night we played at one of my fave places, 1982 Bar. There were only 2 bands, Crash Pad and Boston's Swaggerin' Growlers. We only had a week's notice as we agreed to step in for the original opener, my friend Deb's band Half Crocked (formerly Half Cocked), who had to drop off the bill.

Monday is possibly the worst of all nights to gig, and summer in GNV is extremely slow to boot, so there were very very few people there. Set went OK and for a change 1982 didn't make us get off after 30. So we could do one of our "optionals," our take on "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" (re-named "Irish Eyes"), and in honor of the Growlers I did the first verse (usually played with a clean guitar, and just my vocal) with a mandolin instead. I didn't bother to plug it in, just held it up to the mic and tried to sing off-mic to balance the two, then handed it to my son (mando tech) for the switch to guitar for the last 2 verses. Also remembered to bring a fresh battery for the wireless, so in addition to the standard tomfoolery (behind-head, knee drops, etc.) I did the "walk outside the club during the closer solo" thing, only this time I made sure my photogs had notice.

As usual we (Crashers; I hope the house gave something to the SGs) made nothing. I bought a t-shirt and the Swags' latest CD so they'd at least have gas money to the next show. On the upside, in addition to getting to see the Swags again (we played the same club with them in 2009) and pix for the hall of shame, when I went on the fb event page a couple days later and thanked those few "faithful and brave" who'd come to the show, it gave me the idea for a song, which virtually wrote itself in about 20 minutes. "HERE'S TO THE FAITHFUL & BRAVE (back of a napkin Fourth of July)" should be in our set when we play the second annual "Labor Daze" fest on Labor Day Eve downtown on the Bo Diddley Plaza in a couple months, if not before.

Without further ado, here's the usual stupidity, and your comments on my poseritude are welcomed. As you can see I played the Epi WildKat. Although difficult to see in most pics, the bottom of the G.I. Joe t-shirt says "I GO COMMANDO!" I picked it up for $4 at Big Lots.

Beware, plenty more to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics......shame you didn't have a crowd to play to. I like the Mando.....but if you wanna get tongues to waggin'....get yourself a resonator mandolin. lol Or better yet, play electric slide mandolin.....ala Ry Cooder.

I was in Orlando for the last week of June....had to deal with Tropical Storm Debbie and all her rain. Funny thing is that Orlando was cooler (temperature wise) than Philly going and coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Nice pics......shame you didn't have a crowd to play to. I like the Mando.....but if you wanna get tongues to waggin'....get yourself a resonator mandolin. lol Or better yet, play electric slide mandolin.....ala Ry Cooder.

I was in Orlando for the last week of June....had to deal with Tropical Storm Debbie and all her rain. Funny thing is that Orlando was cooler (temperature wise) than Philly going and coming.
    Thanks, I was up in NC for my mom's 77th birthday from Wednesday through Sunday of this last week, and it was anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees F hotter up there than down here.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The really silly bits:

Done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Without the silly bits, I'd want my money back!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Without the silly bits, I'd want my money back!
    Point taken.

Post Thanks / Like

As always Brian, Great pics! Next time I venture down to see my friend in Delray Beach and if I drive down again have to see if you have a gig. Love to see one of your shows.
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Geez......it might be fun if one day you went to the law office in your Krashpad gear.......and vice versa. Just sayin'.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mapka View Post
    As always Brian, Great pics! Next time I venture down to see my friend in Delray Beach and if I drive down again have to see if you have a gig. Love to see one of your shows.
    We should be playing 2 September, which is Sunday, "Labor Day Eve," during the late afternoon or early evening. So you could do a Labor Day weekend FL vacay! It's even a free show! (On the downtown Bo Diddley Plaza.)

I think my brother-in-law's family is driving down from Jax. However, their drive would be considerably shorter than yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, I wish my band would play more gigs. We just lost our lead player.

That looks like sooo much fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Dang, I wish my band would play more gigs. We just lost our lead player.

That looks like sooo much fun!

Lead player mojo!

Yeah, it was fun. We virtually never make any dosh to speak of, so it'd better be.