Thread: Purchase Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Purchase Advice

Could use a bit of advice on a purchase.

I'm looking at picking up a new book and cd package
    (http://mjspublications.com/low_band/gtstalayout.htm)
    just for the mere fact that it has so much stuff in it.

My dilema is this.

I build my scales and view the guitar fretboard through the CAGED type sytem, where there is 5 basic shapes and they all connect logically. After speaking with the author he said that he does not teach this and does not recommend it either. I find that strange because it just seems so logical to me. Although he says he does view this when it comes to the Pentatonic shapes

I'm wondering how everyone else views the fretboard when it comes to scales and improv and piecing the entire fretboard together.
    -Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Id say you need to start with the caged approach. But you do tend to get locked into the cages when improvising and this is probably where the author is coming from.

However there's lots you can do to break out of the cage. What works for me is learn your scales in cages, then once you know the cage system inside out start to play the whole scale on 2 strings and work your way up the fret board. Do this on each set of two strings and try learn the notes as you go. If you need help use something like the scale generator program below to help you out.

http://www.electricbluesclub.co.uk/g...tar_codex.html
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

What works for me is learn your scales in cages, then once you know the cage system inside out start to play the whole scale on 2 strings and work your way up the fret board.
    that's exactly my approach, I'm just wondering why the opposition to this... I think just for statisfying my curiosity I just may order this ....

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good question - I am teaching my guitar students my own view of how to learn the fretboard. I will soon cover this on my own website, but the gist of it is "seeing" the notes on the fretboard. This works by learning patterns and shapes, then focusing on connecting these. As well, you should learn each scale from the lowest to the highest note on one single string, so that you are not locked into playing into certain positions. Freedom is good!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I never heard of the CAGED system until now. More good info for us newbies!
    I found this on that in case any others wish to explore:

http://www.wholenote.com/default.asp...6p%3D1%26a%3D0
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Good question - I am teaching my guitar students my own view of how to learn the fretboard. I will soon cover this on my own website, but the gist of it is "seeing" the notes on the fretboard. This works by learning patterns and shapes, then focusing on connecting these. As well, you should learn each scale from the lowest to the highest note on one single string, so that you are not locked into playing into certain positions. Freedom is good!
    I like knowing where *all* the notes are too. I understand the CAGED system, but I wouldn't say I know it inside out. I have been planning on doing some single string studies to lock in all the notes on each string.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

The Caged system is what I was raised up on and it just makes too much sense for me. Although I must admiit I'm still working at being extremely free moving from shape to shape on all the strings... I took a long lay off from playing so knocking the dust off my brain is really hard work

I did put together some graphics that for someone to teach it too perhaps someone else would like them.

Here is the A Shape Major Scale

Attachment 771

And it's A Shape Corresponding Blues Scale..
    Attachment 772

-Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert

That sounds great. Having come to the guitar with memories of my youth piano experience, it is a little frustrating at times to me because I cannot look at the neck of the guitar and see all the notes and octaves lined up in white, with the sharps/flats lined up in black. Once I understand better, however, the freedom will be great. Spud gave me a good suggestion of just trying to play simple melodies on one string or so, and then in one position on the neck, to get a better feel for it. I am trying to use Christmas tunes for that purpose. Robert, I would really look forward to one of your great lessons on the subject.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson