Thread: DINGWALL basses every play one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default DINGWALL basses every play one?

I am in the market for a 5 string Bass been leaning towards a Ibanez SR 25th Limited Edition SR5XXV.
    I love the SR style neck it is my neck of choice if given one but I also like unique axes as well.
    I ran across Dingwall Basses it is the same street price as the Ibanez 25th. I need to test drive.
    I was wondering if any of you have played one before.

Here is a link to the axe that caught my gassing eye http://www.dingwallguitars.com/basses/combustion/

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Maxifunk, Dingwalls are built by a luthier just down the road from me in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada. While I haven't had an opportunity to play one myself, I know quite a few guys that do play them on a regular basis and the reviews are always positive. The fan-fret neck looks quite intriguing. Good luck in your quest.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Hagstrom have a few 5 string models. I don't know about the basses but the guitar necks are very nice IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wrong, they don't have a 5 string model. There's an 8 string one though

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say that I've ever played a Dingwall.

The new line of Ibanez prestige's look very, very nice though.

I guess a lot would depend on whether or not you can get comfortable with the fanned fret system.

Here's a good review of the Dingwall.

http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/publication/?i=76122

Post Thanks / Like

That is good to know now to find a local dealer to take a test drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33 View Post
    Hey Maxifunk, Dingwalls are built by a luthier just down the road from me in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada. While I haven't had an opportunity to play one myself, I know quite a few guys that do play them on a regular basis and the reviews are always positive. The fan-fret neck looks quite intriguing. Good luck in your quest.

That is good to know if the locals approve that is a very good thing. Now to find a local dealer for a test drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    I can't say that I've ever played a Dingwall.

The new line of Ibanez prestige's look very, very nice though.

I guess a lot would depend on whether or not you can get comfortable with the fanned fret system.

Here's a good review of the Dingwall.

http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/publication/?i=76122
    Thanks I'll read this for sure.