Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

NYC Various
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYC Various

Post Thanks / Like

Default NYC Various

Since I work in the Big Apple and there's no shortage of scenery to capture, I always tote the camera with me. Here are a few shots taken during both commutes. I walk, by the way.

1. Times Square very early AM:

The Square by stingx, on Flickr

2. Broadway

Midtown Morning II - Slight HDR by stingx, on Flickr

3. Radio City Music Hall

Radio City Music Hall by stingx, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Excellent work!

Here's something you'll love...
    New York Day to Night
    http://www.retronaut.co/2011/09/new-york-day-to-night/
    In his series, “Day to Night,” Stephen Wilkes photographs a scene “for a minimum of ten hours, from the same prespective, capturing a fluid visual narrative of day into night within a single frame.”

Careful... you can spend hours surfing the photos in http://www.retronaut.co

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to drive a limo all around NYC a few years ago. It is really a beautiful city and there is no other city like it I've been in. I could take you to some awesome places.

I like to listen to that song, "Midnight in Harlem", by the Tedeschi Trucks band, written by Derek Trucks. It brings back some memories. I had a lot of "slack" time in the City and used to walk around, down by the river, right into the ruins of the old piers on the West Side, etc. It is surprisingly easy to drive around in the City too, believe it or not; although finding a place to park can be a real problem depending where you are.

I'd like to see more pictures like these. I can only imagine seeing some of those bands playing in some of those rock and blues clubs. I feel like driving over there and checking some of them out. It is only a couple hours from where I'm at, I-80 straight in.

Thanks for posting those pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Excellent work!

Here's something you'll love...
    New York Day to Night
    In his series, “Day to Night,” Stephen Wilkes photographs a scene “for a minimum of ten hours, from the same prespective, capturing a fluid visual narrative of day into night within a single frame.”

Very cool time lapse capture of the Flatiron Building! I used to work right across the street from it near Madison Park for many years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I used to drive a limo all around NYC a few years ago. It is really a beautiful city and there is no other city like it I've been in. I could take you to some awesome places.

I like to listen to that song, "Midnight in Harlem", by the Tedeschi Trucks band, written by Derek Trucks. It brings back some memories. I had a lot of "slack" time in the City and used to walk around, down by the river, right into the ruins of the old piers on the West Side, etc. It is surprisingly easy to drive around in the City too, believe it or not; although finding a place to park can be a real problem depending where you are.

I'd like to see more pictures like these. I can only imagine seeing some of those bands playing in some of those rock and blues clubs. I feel like driving over there and checking some of them out. It is only a couple hours from where I'm at, I-80 straight in.

Thanks for posting those pictures.
    Thanks, Duffy. I don't go to shows quite as often as I used to but will catch a good band playing in the city now and again. I used to go see Les Paul play at the Iridium every once in a while. If you ever get the urge to come to NYC to catch a good live performance let me know.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks x. Definitely will.

Post Thanks / Like

Love those pics stingx, what an amazing place to work, never a dull moment in New York I would imagine. It conjures up so many images in my mind ( jeez I sound like a drug crazed hippy ) Would love to get over to the Big Apple one day.
    So much to do & see so little time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post

New York Day to Night

Thanks for that tip on retronaut, great site.

Post Thanks / Like

Cold Morning - buuurrrrrrrrrrrr!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice stuff! Originally a Philly boy, I've been living in a small town so long (8 years and counting), that I forgot what a REAL city looks like. Hard to believe I haven't been in Manhattan since 20-some years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Stingx, it's really cool to see these photos. Not only are they nicely composed, but it is such a polar opposite from what I see on a regular basis. Country Boy here doesn't get to the city very often any more.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice stingx! I especially like the first one.

/Hampus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool pics! Characteristically, though I like them all, I like the black and white best of all. I like black and white city shots. Somehow it is more dramatic looking to me.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you get enjoyment out of these.

Spud, as much as I enjoy the entertainment NYC offers, I have the luxury of going home to the burbs and clearing my head. I couldn't live in the city - not at this point in time. I realize I'm not as rural as some but it's far enough away for me and still convenient to get to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Very early morning in Manhattan.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with sunvalleylaw the black & whites are cool for the big city shots.
    Question stingx what sort of transportation do you take to work in the city & how long is your commute?
    Cheers & keep the awesome shots coming I love them......... I very rarely travel to the big smoke so the city shots tickle my fancy........
    Conjure up all sorts of thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like

Great pics stingx. A big city can yield many photographic treasures to one who doesn't mind burning a little shoe leather.

Stingx......when you reply to The Grand Vizier, give him a rough idea of what your daily expense would be if you drove back-and-forth to work (bridge/tunnel tolls, parking, etc). lol

Post Thanks / Like

I got to spend a whopping 4 hours in NYC. And though I'm a country boy I always yearned to go back. Not to live mind you but there was a Mystique about it that just mesmerized me! The picture of Manhattan in the early morning reminded me how if you get out early just as the sun is coming up that you swear you can hear the pistons cranking over as the city gets fired up and running. I still have some family in NJ and friends near Niagara Falls in upstate NY. Got to plan a trip back up there.
    Oh and thanks stingx! The pictures are incredible! I want to see more!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Vizier View Post
    I'm with sunvalleylaw the black & whites are cool for the big city shots.
    Question stingx what sort of transportation do you take to work in the city & how long is your commute?
    Cheers & keep the awesome shots coming I love them......... I very rarely travel to the big smoke so the city shots tickle my fancy........
    Conjure up all sorts of thoughts...
    Glad you like the shots. To answer your questions about my commute...I can take either NJ Transit train or bus. With the latter I have three lines as an option and they all run 10 minutes apart. I prefer the bus because it is substantially quicker and closer to my house. Mon-Fri, there is a bus only lane that goes into Manhattan via the Lincoln Tunnel on Route 495 (it's actually the fast lane on the OUTBOUND side!). My commute in the morning, via bus, is 45 minutes from my stop to the Port Authority. From there I walk to the office (15-20 minutes without stopping to take pictures). Going home is roughly the same amount of time because I leave around 4pm and completely beat the rush. As for cost, I pay $218 for a monthly, unlimited bus pass that works for any bus in my zone. I also buy some Metrocards for getting around the city quickly but I don't need them for my commute. I buy them for $20.

As I mentioned to Spud, I live by the New York State border and it's very relaxing and scenic where I live - a completely different scenario from where I work and I like the contrast.

I rarely DRIVE into the city but if I do it costs me $8 in tolls and $20 to park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast