Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD - Fender Road Worn Player Strat

Thread: NGD - Fender Road Worn Player Strat

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD - Fender Road Worn Player Strat

I haven't had a Fender strat in years now, and I figured it was about time. I wanted to get a "bluesy sounding" Fender strat.

I tested several American ones, and many were quite okay. Then the store said "hey it's closing time", and I had just picked up the last guitar, a Road Worn Players Strat. It's Mexican-made, and I didn't expect I'd like it, but whoa, I did!

It has Texas Special pickups, and a vintage style tremolo. It sounds awesome! Just as good to my ears as the Am strats.

Best of all, it feels so nice to play. I just love the neck, and the feel of the guitar. This was the deal breaker. I had to get it, and the store guy had to stay late because of me ...(evil grin + ).

Now it needs new strings and some tweaks, and I'll be ready for some SRV tones.

Before I played it, I thought it was silly to pay extra for a Mexican strat that has been "aged". Maybe it is silly, I don't know. I do I know love the feel of it though!

To me, this neck is nearly perfect. Because the maple neck and fretboard doesn't have that typical lacquer coating, it's so smooth and easy to move around on. The fret size is medium jumbo, and suits my style of playing well.

A guitar needs to feel "right" for me to want to play it. This one does. As for the look - whatever. I think looks cool, but that is still quite irrelevant to me. It's all about the feel for me (and sound of course).

Specs:

Neck Shape: Modern "C" Shape
    Number of Frets: 21
    Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
    Fretboard Radius: 9.5" (24.1 cm)
    Neck Material: Maple
    Neck Finish: Distressed Urethane
    Nut Width: 1.650” (42 mm)
    Scale Length: 25.5" (64.8 cm)
    Truss Rod Nut: 3/16" Hex Adjustment

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HNGD, Robert!

Yes, the feel of the Road Worn's is hard to beat. Those Texas Special's sound great, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, that whole relic thing is so stupid, ridiculous, poser I don't know how anyone would buy one of those.

Ah, but then I actually played one!

I couldn't put it down for anything and would have taken it home if I could have.

One of the sweetest guitars I've ever played.

Definitely changed my whole outlook on a relic.

Happy New Guitar Day Robert!
    Last edited by NWBasser; July 20th, 2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: add text

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you like it! I can just never bring myself to buy a new guitar that's been made to look old. And I REALLY hate some of the DIY relic jobs I've seen in forums. They always look exactly like what they are - a guitar that some dude spent an afternoon ruining with shit they found around the house.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!

I love the Texas Specials in both my Am. Roadhouse Strats.
    They do get the closin' time blues sound, eh?
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Can't wait to see a video on this one.