Thread: The Fender Mustang Floor

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Fender Mustang Floor

Over the years I've owned it all, from Plexi's and Bassmans to JSX's and Mesa Triple Recs, and that has a way of spoiling you and turning you into a tube snob. I've used single pedals and multi-fx units, and while they all had some great usable effects, they were good for just that....fx only.

I wanted a bang-for-the buck practice amp that had some delay/reverb and could cover some tonal ground, and based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the Mustang I amp, I went and picked one up.

My new band is doing things a little differently, running Reaper as a live rig for recording and some fx, and trying to deliver a good bang without lugging so much equipment around like in past bands. I saw the Fender Mustang Floor when I was buying the Mustang I, so I bought it and figured I could just take it back if it sucked.

I certainly did not take it back. I have it hooked up with the stereo xlr outs into my Reaper rig, and then into the PA. This is NOT a Boss multi-fx unit. It doesn't have a million bells and whistles you won't use. I'd call it an amp modelling fx unit for the purist or just the guy who likes to keep it simple.

The mustang I is a great practice amp, and the Floor unit is all that and more. I hadn't seen anything about it on here yet, so i just thought I'd put my two cents in. Best amp sounds I've heard in a pedal, hands down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's good to know. I was wondering about it, but have given up on multi-FX units and and moving to stomp boxes again. I even sold my POD HD-500, mostly because my needs are simple. (a 3 BR ranch house instead of a mini-mansion)

I have a Mustang I as well. I like it, but the Super Champ X2 out shines it by a good margin.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    That's good to know. I was wondering about it, but have given up on multi-FX units and and moving to stomp boxes again. I even sold my POD HD-500, mostly because my needs are simple. (a 3 BR ranch house instead of a mini-mansion)

I have a Mustang I as well. I like it, but the Super Champ X2 out shines it by a good margin.

I used a Boss GT6 for fx only for a long time, and then for a while I used a midi footswitch to trigger Amplitube. I decided to use the Mustang Floor because of my simple needs as well. If you've ever navigated thru menus on the lcd screen of a boss pedal, ....this is nothing like that. Basically I have it set up so that for every guitar sound, I can use the footswitches like stompboxes for whatever stomp fx i'm using.

Grantrow Guest

I'm interested in the Mustang Floor as well.
    I recently tried a Line6 HD500 and a Boss GT100, and they didn't inspire me at all.
    I have owned a Mustang IV amp, and think they are really very good amps. Most of the amp models are really good, and most of the effects are great also.

Apart from the Mustang Floor, I am considering two other units as possibilities: Vox Tonelab EX, and the Zoom G5.
    Has anyone had experience with these units ? I was just wondering how they stack up against the Mustang Floor unit

I will be using the unit through either a Bogner Alchemist or a Blackstar HT40, either in front of, or through the effects loop.
    Thanks for posting the thread. It seems quite a few people are looking at the options of Multi effects units now, as the quality has generally improved quite a bit, with really good amp sims, and effects that are pretty close to stand alone units.
    It would be nice if all of them were able to be used by means of the four cable hook up method, like the Digitech RP1000 has, giving the option of how you have the unit set up.
    I'm not certain, but I don't think the Mustang Floor, the Zoom G5, or the Tonelab EX, allow for the four cable hook up method.