Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2012 [American Football Content]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Wilson's collegiate play gets overlooked a lot because most of it was at NC State, not exactly known as a football powerhouse, but when he played that final year at Wisconsin a lot of people wondered why they hadn't heard of him before. He gets tagged with that "too short" for the NFL thing a lot, but (A) he's the same height as Brees who seems to have it figured out, and (B) he played fine at Wisconsin behind some of the most enormous linemen in the nation. I'd love to see what he can do with the first string guys.

Hmm, based on your assessment of Wilson, maybe Carroll and Co. have a better eye for talent than I give them credit for. It seems that they have built a pretty good defense for this year.

Then again, T.O.!??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Hmm, based on your assessment of Wilson, maybe Carroll and Co. have a better eye for talent than I give them credit for. It seems that they have built a pretty good defense for this year.
    Nah, I've seen enough Pete Carroll. This is more likely the every squirrel gets a nut thing.

Then again, T.O.!??
    Exactly. Like I said the other day, why take a team already struggling to find its identity at QB and add to the mix the one player unanimously believed by everyone who's ever played with him to be a destroyer of the confidence of QBs? Just wait until the first time Flynn or Wilson don't throw it to Owens when he thinks he's open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maybe he'll hire Chad Ochocinco/Johnson/whatever-his-name-is-this-week?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Maybe he'll hire Chad Ochocinco/Johnson/whatever-his-name-is-this-week?
    Though nothing ever surprises me with the NFL anymore, I'd wager Chad Johnson's NFL career is over. He had less than 20 receptions last season with Tom Brady as his QB. If you can't make that work, chances are it's not working with a lesser QB either. Then again, Mike Tannebaum is running a three ring circus in New York right now. Perhaps he needs another clown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, what did some of the other fretters observe about their teams? How are the Iggles looking so far, etc.?!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the Bucs looked promising, albeit against an awful Dolphins' team. LeGarrette Blount is carrying the ball higher and tighter, hopefully leading to less fumbling.

Doug Martin appears to be the quintessential all-purpose back. He can run inside or outside. He can catch out of the backfield. Perhaps most importantly, he can block, as evidenced by a great block on one of Miami's best pass rushers, Cameron Wake, which allowed Josh Freeman the time to connect for a 14 yard pass and an extension of a drive that led to 7 points.

Most impressive to me was the offensive line. I knew Carl Nicks was a dominating presence on the line, but I didn't watch every Saints' game. This guy is quite possibly the best offensive lineman in the game right now. He is just killing people at the line and opening up holes I'm pretty sure even I could run through for a short gain.

The real key to this team's performance is on the other side of the ball. Injuries have plagued a potential-filled young defensive line and there's little depth if it happens again.

Post Thanks / Like

It's become clear to me that the Seahawks have a great QB option with Russell Wilson.

In last Sat's game against the Broncos, Wilson really shined. I think he's their guy.

Now, I'll bet that Carroll goes with Flynn...

Things were overall pretty good for the defense, although the pass rush was still lacking somewhat.

T.O. couldn't catch a cold that night and dropped a perfectly thrown pass by Flynn right in the end zone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I watched most of the Colt's game Sunday night. Andrew Luck showed some pretty good patience and maturity for a rookie. The Steelers were a bit off and on, but looked good for the most part.
    I'm also happy to report that the Texans appear to have their act together this year, barring too many injuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Iggles looked OK against the Pats......esp Foles who came in when Vick got hurt. I was on 3 week vacation and missed most of training camp and the related scuttlebutt that comes out then. The players are dedicating the season to Andy Reid's son who recently died.

Post Thanks / Like

It's become clear to me that the Seahawks have a great QB option with Russell Wilson.

In last Sat's game against the Broncos, Wilson really shined. I think he's their guy.

Now, I'll bet that Carroll goes with Flynn...

Things were overall pretty good for the defense, although the pass rush was still lacking somewhat.

T.O. couldn't catch a cold that night and dropped a perfectly thrown pass by Flynn right in the end zone.
    I suppose we'll see who has the real power in the Seahawks' organization. Typically in these situations, upper management tends to want to play the guy they just paid the big money for, while the coaches usually want the guy who's most ready to play, which is pretty clearly Wilson.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose we'll see who has the real power in the Seahawks' organization. Typically in these situations, upper management tends to want to play the guy they just paid the big money for, while the coaches usually want the guy who's most ready to play, which is pretty clearly Wilson.
    Carroll is starting Wilson on Friday. It looks to me like that's the direction he's headed.

The local sports pundit has clearly stated his preference for Flynn, explaining that a rookie QB will make a lot of mistakes and cost the team dearly.

Nevermind the incredible talent displayed by Wilson in his first couple of games...

With the exception of TO, there's quite a bit to look forward to with this team this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Carroll is starting Wilson on Friday. It looks to me like that's the direction he's headed.

The local sports pundit has clearly stated his preference for Flynn, explaining that a rookie QB will make a lot of mistakes and cost the team dearly.

Nevermind the incredible talent displayed by Wilson in his first couple of games...

With the exception of TO, there's quite a bit to look forward to with this team this season.
    I'm not sure I buy the "rookie mistake" argument that guy is pushing. It's not as if Flynn has a wealth of in-game experience to draw from in avoiding mistakes Wilson might make. It's a matter of how well a player takes to coaching and I'd contend that his ability to transfer colleges and remain one of the top QBs in the country in a new system show that Wilson takes rather well to coaching. He'll make mistakes, they all do. The question is whether or not he repeats them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I buy the "rookie mistake" argument that guy is pushing. It's not as if Flynn has a wealth of in-game experience to draw from in avoiding mistakes Wilson might make. It's a matter of how well a player takes to coaching and I'd contend that his ability to transfer colleges and remain one of the top QBs in the country in a new system show that Wilson takes rather well to coaching. He'll make mistakes, they all do. The question is whether or not he repeats them.
    Guess who I have sports crush on?

Post Thanks / Like

Guess who I have sports crush on?
    Me?

Post Thanks / Like

Me?

I nearly cried laughing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NFL 2012 [American Football Content]

My heart almost stopped when I heard Stafford was knocked out of the game. Thankfully there's no major damage. Leshoure needs to learn that "excuse me" blocks won't cut it in the NFL.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I heard that Tebow and Sanchez couldn't get into their garages last night after the game...
    Someone drew a goal line across their driveways!

Sorry, I had to recycle that joke, but couldn't help myself!
    As always, pre-season means nothing. Smart coaches don't play their best cards.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I know the rap about pre-season meaning nothin'.......but to see Sanchez and Tebow stink up the joint.....and Rex Ryan try to laugh it off.....is delicious.

Apologies and condolences to R-of-G if this rope-a-dope act becomes FACT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    As always, pre-season means nothing. Smart coaches don't play their best cards.
    The obvious flaw one could make there would be an a priori assumption that Rex Ryan and Tony Sparano are smart coaches. The evidence quite clearly shows otherwise. The Jets cant' score TDs because they already had one of the worst offenses in the NFL and rather than upgrade at need positions, they either made lateral moves or downgraded. It should thus come as no surprise that they are now even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Yeah, I know the rap about pre-season meaning nothin'.......but to see Sanchez and Tebow stink up the joint.....and Rex Ryan try to laugh it off.....is delicious.

Apologies and condolences to R-of-G if this rope-a-dope act becomes FACT.
    No need to apologize to me my friend, I'll be laughing right along with you. The inability of that team and its management to take anything seriously has driven my entire family away from rooting for them anymore. This past Saturday marked 20 years that I've lived in Tampa. I need no longer worry about a second team from a place I lived nearly half my life ago. I am all in on the Bucs. The Jets are now just "one of the other 31 teams" to me (and a really crappy one at that from the look of it).

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast