Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NFL 2012 [American Football Content]
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2012 [American Football Content]

Post Thanks / Like

Default NFL 2012 [American Football Content]

Training camps are in full swing. First official pre-season game tomorrow with the Hall of Fame Game. May as well start the NFL discussion now. How'd your team do this offseason? What do you expect from your team this season?

As most of you will recall, I'm all in on the Bucs this season. The Jets thing has been retired by my entire family. We've all moved on to the teams of our adopted hometowns over the team from the place none of us has lived in a decade.

I think the Bucs had a strong free agency period (Carl Nicks, Vincent Jackson) and a very strong draft (Mark Barron, Doug Martin). I know the NFL isn't the NCAA, but if Greg Schiano can develop the young Bucs like he did the players at Rutgers, this team has good years ahead.

I am optimistic about the team, but I am also realistic. They were 4-12 last season. If they can go 8-8 this season, I will think it a tremendous success and a sign of better things to come. If they manage to do better than that, that'd be great too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our home team (Texans) suffered last year in the post season due to injuries.
    Now in training camp, there are already several injuries.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to see that the Saints are well on track despite all the suspended players and coaches, I can't wait to see the new season but this opening game of Sunday was not a bad start
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nothing too much new for my team the Seattle Seahawks since we last talked. I think they made some decent looking trades and acquisitions, and I hope they are able to build upon the successes of last year. It was the best season in a long time, and I hope a signal that better days may come. We added some good guys. The QB is not settled yet, but we have a couple decent guys to pick from.

Also, one of my favorite players from the 90's was finally honored at the NFL Hall of Fame! http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/0...edy-light.html

Way to go 'Tez!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Also, one of my favorite players from the 90's was finally honored at the NFL Hall of Fame! http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/0...edy-light.html
    A well deserved induction for Kennedy. He'd have been a household name if he'd played in a larger market or teams that contended, but man, that dude could play.

Post Thanks / Like

@SVL - The Seahawks signed Terrell Owens to a deal. Perhaps the Jets aren't the only team going with a circus motif for this season. Good luck with that freak show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh man! I had not heard that!! Just when things were looking better and that they were piecing together a workerlike team! *goes to look at TNT sports page to see news*
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man! I had not heard that!! Just when things were looking better and that they were piecing together a workerlike team! *goes to look at TNT sports page to see news*
    It's just what a team with an identity crisis at QB needs, the ultimate QB killer in their locker room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, sure enough. It's there in the news. They say Carroll is optimistic, that TO gave a good workout and is fit, and maybe they can get a good year out of him. I say we don't need the distraction potential. We need to figure out which of the candidates for QB will get the longer term job, and develop the team leadership. I don't see TO helping that out. Maybe I am wrong and unfairly judging him, but . . .
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks like R_of_G needs to work on his bedside manner... SVL almost had a cardiac moment!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    @SVL - The Seahawks signed Terrell Owens to a deal. Perhaps the Jets aren't the only team going with a circus motif for this season. Good luck with that freak show.
    CRAP!!!!

What sort of stupidity is going on in Renton?

Did someone switch Pete Carroll's brain with Rex Ryan's?

Last I saw of TO, he was let go from an arena team....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Looks like R_of_G needs to work on his bedside manner... SVL almost had a cardiac moment!
    Me too.

It appears that my beloved Seahawks are becoming a circus act.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just had a weird thought. What if Pete Carroll is trying to do something along the lines of the "Moneyball" thing in the baseball movie? Maybe it could work in football. It will be interesting this year anyways!

I don't take football THAT seriously any more. I enjoy following the Seahawks some again, but I sure don't want to go back to taking any professional sport seriously. I goofed up too many Sundays like that in my youth.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

What's really worring about the T.O. acquisition is what it says about the rest of the recieving corp. If the 'hawks are desparate enough to gamble on T.O., then they must not have much confidence in their other recievers.

Bringing a new QB into a system without receiving talent seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't like the idea of a team built on desparation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, not much clarity in the QB situation in Seattle from what I read. I did not watch the game. From what I read, I want to hold out for Flynn to come into his own rather than be too attracted by Wilson's "more exciting" performance. Defense apparently played well. I like that.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Well, not much clarity in the QB situation in Seattle from what I read. I did not watch the game. From what I read, I want to hold out for Flynn to come into his own rather than be too attracted by Wilson's "more exciting" performance. Defense apparently played well. I like that.
    I'm sure the organization would like to see Flynn come into his own too, since they paid him handsomely assuming he'd have a "his own" to come into. Frankly, I think Wilson is the better QB. I thought he was better in college. I think he'll make a better pro. Flynn looked great plugged into the Green Bay starting offense when Rodgers was out. Running the Seattle offense is far different. One exhibition game hardly makes for enough data on which to make the choice, but through one game, on the field Wilson was the better QB.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I only caught the last half of the fourth, but Wilson looked very good from what I saw.

I think I'll hold off on any sort of QB assessment until I've seen all the candidates at work. That said, it appears that they found some decent talent to try out.

Braylon Edwards looked pretty good and that may be a bright spot for the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    ...but through one game, on the field Wilson was the better QB.
    Keep in mind that Wilson was also working against the second-string defense.

Nevertheless, Wilson did show that he's a very solid contender for the position.

Oh, and thank for the asssessment of him! I was unaware of his college achievements.

However this shakes out, it will be very interesting to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Braylon Edwards looked pretty good and that may be a bright spot for the team.
    Edwards is a fairly consistent receiver at this point in his career. At some point or another, he will drop a big pass because he's Braylon Edwards and that's his thing he does, but the drops have gotten less frequent. I think Seatlle will be happy to have him. I still think he's better than any of the WRs the Jets have on their current roster but they didn't seem to think so.

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Keep in mind that Wilson was also working against the second-string defense.

Nevertheless, Wilson did show that he's a very solid contender for the position.

Oh, and thank for the asssessment of him! I was unaware of his college achievements.

However this shakes out, it will be very interesting to see.
    Wilson's collegiate play gets overlooked a lot because most of it was at NC State, not exactly known as a football powerhouse, but when he played that final year at Wisconsin a lot of people wondered why they hadn't heard of him before. He gets tagged with that "too short" for the NFL thing a lot, but (A) he's the same height as Brees who seems to have it figured out, and (B) he played fine at Wisconsin behind some of the most enormous linemen in the nation. I'd love to see what he can do with the first string guys.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast