Thread: Original Tune: The Villain

Post Thanks / Like

Default Original Tune: The Villain

Post Thanks / Like

Love the full band sound. Cupla things: Vocals need to be eq'd up a little, maybe just boost the mids? And as much as I like the guitar stuff going on, it's all about the same level and feels muddy at times. I'd back off some of the stuff and let one part, perhaps the echo-ey arpeggio part, stand out a bit more. Or let the various guitar parts take turns dominating at times. Right now it's a bit liike a wall of sound without enough highlights. Overall a terrific tune though. (Maybe fix the link so we don't have to cut and paste into browser?)
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott View Post
    Love the full band sound. Cupla things: Vocals need to be eq'd up a little, maybe just boost the mids? And as much as I like the guitar stuff going on, it's all about the same level and feels muddy at times. I'd back off some of the stuff and let one part, perhaps the echo-ey arpeggio part, stand out a bit more. Or let the various guitar parts take turns dominating at times. Right now it's a bit liike a wall of sound without enough highlights. Overall a terrific tune though. (Maybe fix the link so we don't have to cut and paste into browser?)

Funny you should mention those things, haha.....my little yellow legal pad full of notes agrees with you lol. This was my first attempt at mixing, and I've learned a lot since then. I def agree about the vox. Regarding the rest of the mix, I think I used EZdrummer for the drums, and tommorow night i'm having my drummer and bass player lay down their tracks, since theres currently no bass either. Once I have a bassline in there, I'd like to drop down to "airy" guitar, drums and bass during the verses. Your comments have motivated me to revisit this song though, so thanks for that. At the very least I'm an amateur producer but I'm working on doing justice to my songs and they could all use a little dynamic sprucing up. I will post a new mix when I'm done and hopefully I can bring a lot of dynamics into it. Love to hear your thoughts when I repost it.