Thread: Randall RT-30 amp with issues - worth a gamble?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Randall RT-30 amp with issues - worth a gamble?

I have an opportunity to buy a Randall RT-30 two-channel 2x12 tube amp (apparently similar design to a Matchless or Vox AC-30) which is not working. I asked if the amp powered on and if he knew what was wrong with the amp. He told me the following:

and it was damaged at an outdoor gig when an overhead canopy failed and rain water leaked onto the circuit board while he was performing with his band. A high voltage trace burned a point on the PCB, also causing two resistors to burn up. That damage was repaired, but there may be additional damage (possibly to the output transformer) because some kind of short still exists, however I haven't tested that condition. I replaced the burned resistors and a capacitor and powered up the amp. When I took it off standby (energized the high voltage supple to the output tubes) there was smoke from the original hot spot on the circuit board, then the amp's fuse blew. I am not equipped to take the diagnostic process any further, nor do I want to cause any more harm to the amp.

I'm not an amp tech, though I know how to safely discharge capacitors and have done some DIY repairs before. I've read some great reviews of these amps. Does it sound like a major repair project? What would you pay for it, if anything (chassis, cabinet, speakers look to be in good physical condition)?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Unless it's super cheap (like, pennies on the dollar cheap), I would pass. Here's why:

1). The problems with the amph are not resolved, and we don't know exactly what all the problems are. That requires extra time from a tech, and that can get expensive. The seller has already said that despite the repairs done to the amph so far, the magic smoke wants to come out.

2). Resale on a repaired amph that had suffered water damage in the past, IMO, would be dismal. If you don't like the amph, and the sound isn't for you, you have spent money on something that you won't ever recoup a portion of your costs.

On the other hand, it could be one of those "it wasn't working right, I bought it anyway, spent 25 cents, and now I have a perfectly good item" stories that you read on the internet from time to time.

It just seems like a money pit to me, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Katastrophie. Makes sense.