Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
What to expect

Thread: What to expect

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to expect

So my frankenstrat is giving me issues in the neck pickup and in the selector switch.

I get a little crazy with my strumming and coming from only playing a Les Paul for a while, I hit the switch a lot (I'm working on it) - when I hit it, I get a bunch of static and it seems to drop the contact. I have to wiggle it a bit to get it to pick it back up. Without having opened it up yet, seems to me like the switch is just bad if it's not a solder joint. The position that it's giving me problems in is the Neck pickup.

Also with the neck pickup - and this is new, just started today - it will phase in and out. No static. And for a while now, when I give a big bad bend to my high E, it will loose it at the top.

Now, I know the previous owner put in DiMarzio's and did a crap job of putting it all back together (rusted screws, different heads) - but I liked the way it looked and sounded so it wasn't broke and I didn't fix it. Unfortunately now it's just annoying to play. I'm not intimidated by the electrical work, I just hate opening up guitars.

Do you guys think I'm just looking at some bad solder and maybe a switch replacement? The high E bend kind of concerns me.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible that your high E bend is fretting out?

Post Thanks / Like

No, I hear it on the guitar just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Desolder resolder all tabs on switch if still having probs replace with a good quality switch.Personally I would replace switch strip wire ends new and tin the ends before resolder! Also you can tin the tabs to fill in the holes giving you a better connection to solder to! While the pups are out test them to make sure they are within spec range.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like the switch is shot, but it could be a bum solder joint. If the latter, usually just reflowing each joint on the switch with a hot solder iron is sufficient to re-establish a good connection.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

That is correct like ya didnt know oh great voodoo one