Thread: Fret height and string buzz

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fret height and string buzz

I'm an ok player - mostly just messing around at home etc and I think after 18 years of playing that I can make barre chords ok in my acoustic - but most of the time that I play it, it sounds really bad - buzzy and tinny. The guitar is a blueridge dreadnought BR 05 which I've had since I started. The neck is straight and strings are fresh.

Last night I compared the fret height with my favorite electric - my dean EVO special and found that the dean's fret height was much higher and the frets were thicker.

So I am wondering whether acoustic guitars have lower frets than electric guitars or whether my acoustic has just abnormally low (at least for me ) fret heights.

Because of this I find playing acoustic very unrewarding - but i assumed it was just me. Now i am wondering whether a different guitar would be better. Of course I know I shoulD visit the guitar store - but I wanted to gather some insights before I did.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

I think more electrics have "big" frets than acoustics, but I think it's to facilitate bending and other electric lead techniques. Your Blueridge probably has some setup issues, particularly saddle height and perhaps trussrod adjustment or one or more high frets, and a few tweaks should make it right. I suspect, from your description, that the action is too low. The BR 05 is a very nice guitar (I've played one), and other than a structural defect, can be made to play quite nicely. The problems are not due to fret size, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks for the info. I think I should play some other guitars to see if it is me or the set up of my guitar. If the latter then I'll have it set up right. If its me- then I better just stick to electric!

Post Thanks / Like

There is no logical reason why you can't comfortably play both acoustics and electrics comfortablty. I have a dread with typically small frets, and 2 electrics with medium-jumbo fret. The action of all 3 is not all that different; just a bit higher on the dread. Three quite different guitars, different neck profiles and nut width, yet they're all nicely playable. Check out some basic setup info and instruction website, like http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/r...tar/action.php and see if you can possibly identify the causes of your problems. Then talk to us some more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son View Post
    There is no logical reason why you can't comfortably play both acoustics and electrics comfortablty. I have a dread with typically small frets, and 2 electrics with medium-jumbo fret. The action of all 3 is not all that different; just a bit higher on the dread. Three quite different guitars, different neck profiles and nut width, yet they're all nicely playable. Check out some basic setup info and instruction website, like http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/r...tar/action.php and see if you can possibly identify the causes of your problems. Then talk to us some more.
    Thanks - that is what I think - although I am pretty average, the fact that I can't get a simple barre chord progression to sound nice on the acoustic is a big source of frustration, and like I said, I've been playing for nearly 20 years. I'll look at the set up and maybe take it to my local trusted guitar shop. I could do the work myself - but for $50 - I am happy to let an expert mess with it.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Default gatorbrit

What you don't mention is how much you play acoustic compared to electric and thats important cause not everyone can just switch over from electric to acoustic with out putting in a lot of work and as we all know that barr chords can be extremely difficult at the best of times.
    Can you tell us what the height of the strings are at the 12th fret and that should give us some clue as to if you have a height problem of the strings or if you do need to have a proper set up done and possibly you might need to swap out the saddle and even the nut and if they are all good well then its just old fashion practice on barr chords.lou

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys - I'm pleased to give you an update. I took my acoustic into my local guitar store (Harry's in Raleigh, NC) and asked the tech to look at it. He said "I'm not surprised you hate playing this thing - come back in a week." A week later and $50 lighter, my guitar had a full set up - and it plays great. Easy easy action, no hand strain making chords, nice sparkling tone, all good. I feel like I have a new guitar. I strongly recommend getting an expert to look at your axe from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

But, what did he do?

Post Thanks / Like

Adjusted the nut, lowered the saddle, adjusted the neck. Basically lowered the action.