Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Question about vinyl collecting

Thread: Question about vinyl collecting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about vinyl collecting

So recently I've sort of become infatuated with old records, and because of this I've been thinking about saving up for a turntable; so I was wondering if there were any fretters here who could offer me advice.
    Thanks a lot,
    Mr.Creamcheese

Post Thanks / Like

What do you want to know? I'm not much of a collector, I've only got about 700 albums after selling off over 300 over the last couple years. Other than the ones I bought new back in the day, I rarely pay over $1 for an album. I hit garage sales and get the word out. I just bought 3 Ventures albums in Near Mint for $.25 each last weekend!

If you are going to "collect" them with an eye to resale, then only buy Near Mint records. If you just want them to listen them, then you have more flexibility because then you don't have to worry so much about what the cover looks like. The hot albums now are Northern Soul and late '60s Psych and Garage so good luck finding those for $1. Eventually though, things usually swing around and something else like New Wave or blues will become hot and Garage will be cheap.

ALWAYS check that the correct album is in the cover! I've been burned a few times buy looking at a great cover and sliding the album out just enough to get a decent look at the how worn it is, then getting home and finding someone put the wrong album in the sleeve.

Buy a price guide if you are planning on spending more that I do. Keep your eye on eBay and Gemm.com.

Buy a decent turntable and keep a good stylus/needle on it.

Most of all, HAVE FUN!

Post Thanks / Like

Along the same line, what are best storage methods. Milk-crate type or...?

I am building a casual collection, starting with classic rock, R&B, rock 45's and also 78's at yard sales or estate sales.
    Neighbor gave me a 1920's 78 acoustic amplification player, so I have fun with that, from Al Jolson, Burl Yves to Les Paul.. fun stuff.
    Found some Art Tatum freebie ones the other day, to discover most were cracked... drats!
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a ton for responding; would you happen to know where I could find a good turntable or what a reasonable price for an average setup is? And for that matter, how exactly do I go about setting the thing up with speakers, a pre-amp, stylus/needle, etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Creamcheese. Feel free to introduce yourself.
    Your question isn't about guitars, but we will bring you into the fold...!

Why don't you start with old components for yard sales, goodwill, your local recycling spot perhaps. Ask neighbors and family! There are hundreds of system good and bad sitting in attics, closets...Do not pay (much) for some of this stuff, capacitors and such do age, even though what I found has been fine so far. Some early 80s Japanese hifi components were very well built - I just cleaned a Sony reciever and the innards were superb. Some purists (not me!) seek the warm tones these components produce.
    Old truntables are a bit tough to get a hold of, apparently. I think a lot did not age well and got tossed. Delicate equipment, so treat old ones with care. There are good, inexpensive all-purpose cartridges on the market, 35-40 dollars gets you started.
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Get a Bang & Olufsen Beogram, one of the linear tracking models. You should be able to find decent older ones on eBay. It's the only turntable you'll ever need.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't notice that was your first question to the board. Why didn't you pick a vinyl collecting message board?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, partially because I've been lurking around the Fret for quite some time and the members here seem to be pretty knowledgeable about music in general; partially because I had no idea that there were entire forums for vinylheads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Creamcheese View Post
    Thanks a ton for responding; would you happen to know where I could find a good turntable or what a reasonable price for an average setup is? And for that matter, how exactly do I go about setting the thing up with speakers, a pre-amp, stylus/needle, etc?
    I just recently set myself up to play vinyl, with a modern onkyo receiver. Audiotechnica makes a very reasonable turntable, that has a pre-amp built in. You can run it like an old-school phono out, if you have an old receiver, or run it right to any line input on a modern receiver (boombox, or minishelf, or whatever) and USB. Very versatile. http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTATLP60USB if you don't want usb you can save a few bucks" http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTATLP60

I have been picking up records from family, friends, and stores for the past several weeks. Even my daughters love listening to vinyl. I just spent $86 yesterday on records, as a matter of fact.

Post Thanks / Like

B&O Denon lots of good new tables being made cheap!!!!

Im vintage myself! Technics was tops AUDIO TECHNICA PIONEER WAS LISTED ALOT.