Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD - flying vee

Thread: NGD - flying vee

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD - flying vee

Just picked up a (14 yr. old) '58 RI Epi Flying V. Solid Korina, not a laminate top . The maple neck (scarf joint) goes all the way to the end of the neck p'up rout. Someone installed a Duncan '59 in the neck, a 490T in the bridge, and replaced the tuners with Gibson Deluxe (Kluson). Truss rod turns nicely, set up the action and intonated (ABR-2 bridge). String-thru with brass ferrules. Unplugged, this thing sounds like an acoustic and rings beautifully. Light as a feather (Korina is an awesome wood). And it came in this case. FedEx to my house, under 3 bills My new blues guitar!!
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HNGD! Sounds like a great deal with those pickups, tuners, and cool case, and it has the long tenon neck joint, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Whoo! That's gotta be something else entirely than the more current laminate ones. Congrats!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon Zip, you know the rules.

No pics, no new V!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah yeah, you're right.

Right now the thing's taken apart on my bench. The pickup switch was intermittent cutting out - whoever replaced the pups did a crappy solder job to the pots. Instead of twisting off the braid before soldering, they just laid it on the pots and (cold) soldered. Soon as I get it screwed back together I'll post up pics.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, congrats! I used to have an Epi V meself (see avatar).

Now pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Pics or it didn't happen!

Post Thanks / Like

These are how it came to me, busted bridge pup spring, etc.

Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Id change the bridge pup anyways with a seymour custom custom.Love korina!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I likes me the small-body (older style) V.

I had the '67 model, but that's too big for me. This older style model without the flanges at the neck joint is much more compact.
    The thing is, I always - well since I had Accept's Restless and Wild LP - thought a white Gibson Flying V is the coooooolest guitar ever made...I wanted one, but when I had it, it proved just too damn big for me. I dunno why - I'm not the smallest guy ever or anything, but bigger guitars like an Explorer and fly-V just look stupid on me for whatever reason.

What I'd want...and likely will get some day...is buy a flyv with the old-skool, small body, and if need be, even shorten the prongs a little...and make a custom pickguard in '67 style and get rid of the metal V string-thru system in favor of a stoppiece...so make me a guitar that kinda looks like a '67 at a quick glance but is a hybrid of the styles and has a smaller frame.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Id change the bridge pup anyways with a seymour custom custom.Love korina!!!
    It came with a Gibby 490T in the bridge, so I'll play it for awhile as-is ('59 neck). That custom-custom is nice tho, and I may take your advice. This V isn't quite done yet

Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Yea that seymour set is very good and alot of slingers use that combo!! The 490 t and 490 r combo came in their cheaper models.The 498 t and 490 r is the main gibby combo so maybe throw the 490 in the neck and a 498 in bridge. The 490 bridge and neck are the same pup.IMHO a seymour custom custom is the way to go hot lead fo-sho..Just my opinion brother that korina is nice enjoy!!!

ALSO GET SOME GOOD POTS AND CAPS. Gibby uses 300k pots on alot of their guitars and ive tested several gibby 500k that measured between 200 to 400 k so all undermined.That said the lower pots might give giby its mellow not harsh harmonics!!!