Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lance Armstrong in ruins?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I should make clear the main reason I show anger towards Armstrong.
    Every person who questions or presents claims about his doping has automatically been the subject of the most harsh public attacks by he and his team of publicists and PR people. We rarely see this level of character assassination in the nasty political world! Sure, some of these people had something to gain by outing Armstrong, but most ended up losing out in a big way, like Frankie Andreu, who's testimony was supposed to remain sealed in an unrelated litigation case. When Frankie and his wife's testomy were leaked to the press, Armstrong began an unprecedented attack on them. By this point, I was thoroughly disgusted with the Armstrong machine's acidic and destructive qualities. I never liked bullies and might-is-right types. Times ten that, knowing how guilty he really was.

Take David Millar, the opposite. He was caught, fought it, and finally admitted it in full. He showed a level of character that was inspiring through his honesty. He returned to competition with his head held high, clean, and loving the sport like never before. His results never equaled his doped results, but he is respected. I can not say the same for Andy and Fränk Schleck, etc.
    Last edited by Tig; January 16th, 2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an article that provides some ver good insight into the whole problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/op...pagewanted=all

The whole issue isn't really as black and white as we'd like to see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

@NWBasser, it rarely is. Just the whole situation sucks.

@Tig, not a fan of bully tactics either. I am willing to guess that Lance is no picnic to be around, or to do business with, or be a teammate of, etc. But I still don't like how this whole thing is being handled.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/op...pagewanted=all

Here is a piece by a former pro racer that is interesting about the choice to dope or not dope. I hope his dream for a level playing field is somehow realized through all of this.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

This was just posted on AOL from a Lance Armstrong press conference today:
    http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/st...6pLid%3D221311

Lance is stepping down as Chairman of LiveStrong. NIKE has immediately terminated their endorsement contract with Lance....saying in effect that he has misled them for 10 years.

WOW.....what a mess and what a shame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep. It is too bad. What is wrong is wrong. But I have to feel somewhat sympathetic. None of the other contenders during that era were any cleaner. He was still the strongest under the race conditions of the era, which included all (that I know of) the top folks doping. Still, wrong is wrong.

A long time cycling friend of mine, really still a kid, who started cycling with my mountain bike group as a pudgy 9th grader who wanted to become a bike racer, has become a contender and has a shot at being a pro racer. He (now maybe 20 years old) has raced in Europe and is pursuing the dream.
    He posted the following on facebook last week. I had to share it,

"My Heroes are cheaters, my sport is tarnished. Disappointed but determined to be apart of the new Clean age of cycling. I hope to be somebody worth looking up to. Especially for the next kids that I hope to inspire. Just like I was inspired by these "Heroes" but this time for real."

I applaud his attitude and determination in a disappointing time for the cycling world. Good on ya Josh!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Same thing with Ben Johnson! Everybody he beat in Seoul were doped too.

Somebody's gotta take a fall though... so of course it's going to be the biggest star.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

But this is decidedly different because seemingly everyone but Armstrong was "found out". I guess the parallel thought/paradigm would be if ALL the top home-run hitters were STEROIDAL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The case really shows how widespread doping has become in the sport. Almost every top US rider admitted to their own doping in the case against Armstrong. Now we know why he didn't fight it, because there was no chance against over 20 witnesses.

If doping didn't threaten people's health (too many have died), then I could see why some people say to legalize it. I doubt anyone would want to see teens doping if it became accepted practice, however.

Post Thanks / Like

Armstrong is allegedly thinking about admitting to using PEDs and doping during his career. This would then allow him to request reinstatement. So, I guess the witch-hunt really was true in their assertions.....and his constant denials of same was just BS. Sort of reminds me of when Marion Jones finally admitted to using PEDs which ended her track-and-field career.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/st...6pLid%3D253121

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In the public eye, to consider admitting you've done something (and announcing to associates that you are considering it), is as good as a confession itself.
    He is already in legal hot water with the companies that endorsed him, so this would strengthen their civil cases against him.

Film at 11...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lance Armstrong in ruins?

It will be another Hollywood movie out of this I bet. Of course he is guilty. I'm surprised anyone doubted that. What may be worse are the methods by which he kept people from spilling the truth.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a fantastic run while it lasted.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the thing that rankles me no end about Lance. It's bad enough that he LIED for years about his drug use. But it's something totally different in that he won judgments in court against those who accused him of doping (libel/slander cases) and he ruined some other people (teammate/competitors) along the way for the same reasons too.

As I understand it, the people he won judgments against have no recourse at this time because the statute of limitations ran out.

How the heck is that fair?

Post Thanks / Like

It's not fair, that's for sure...

But this whole story will make for an entertaining Hollywood movie!
    Grab yer popcorn

I just read this today:

Oprah Winfrey is confirming that Lance Armstrong came clean to her about his use of performance-enhancing drugs during their 2½ hour interview Monday.

She said the cyclist was "forthcoming" as she asked him in detail about doping allegations that followed him throughout his seven Tour de France victories.

Winfrey interviewed Armstrong at a hotel in downtown Austin.

The session was to be broadcast on Thursday, but Winfrey said it will now run in two parts over two nights because there is so much material.

The confession was a stunning reversal for a proud athlete and celebrity who sought lavish praise in the court of public opinion and used courtrooms to punish his critics.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it interesting that so many have expressed shock about this, when it's simply another example of getting ahead in any way possible, which seems to be a constant in an over-competitive world. Whether it be sports, business, politics, personal, whatever, morality and ethics are often non-existent, ignored or overridden in pursuit of "success". Right, wrong or otherwise, it's a fact - and only the very naive are the least bit surprised. For every Lance Armstrong or Mark McGwire who've been caught, there are dozens who haven't and won't ever be.

Rules, drug tests, etc. give the illusion of purity, but it's still just an illusion. And it's a witch hunt, too - somehow related to the general anti-drug hysteria of the drug war, another fruitless endeavor. It's kinda weird how some performance-enhancing drugs, like lidocaine and cortisone are OK, while others are not.

Post Thanks / Like

This is very true. Well said - I completely agree.

You guys should read this article about Dentist Kip Litton http://www.examiner.com/article/chea...ner-kip-litton
    It's a bizarre story!

In all areas of life, there are cheaters. I'm sure there plenty that never get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son View Post
    I find it interesting that so many have expressed shock about this, when it's simply another example of getting ahead in any way possible, which seems to be a constant in an over-competitive world. Whether it be sports, business, politics, personal, whatever, morality and ethics are often non-existent, ignored or overridden in pursuit of "success". Right, wrong or otherwise, it's a fact - and only the very naive are the least bit surprised. For every Lance Armstrong or Mark McGwire who've been caught, there are dozens who haven't and won't ever be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The only surprise here is Armstrong admitting to anything. Inside the competitive cycling community, many of us suspected or knew that he and so many others were doping. It was a known reality that irritated many, especially having to watch Lance destroy anyone who challenged him while he paraded his lies. The rest of the world didn't want to hear anything negative, so many of us were ostracized for even bringing it up.

This is the beginning of a long awaited justice for the former teammates he has slandered and hurt. I feel for them. I also feel for the many people who have looked up to Armstrong as a roll model, be it cancer patients or young athletes.

Post Thanks / Like

My vision of the very late confession of Amstrong is that he just wants revenge he will tell what many people in the business help him and allow him to get doped without being catch positive and I guess some people in the UCI are already very very nervous. Despite this sudden effort to be honest I don't believe that he is really sorry for what he has done during his whole carrier specially all the guys he "shoot down" in the media like Christophe Basson for example. the fact that doping is more and more widely used is not to my eyes a valid excuse to try to make money while destroying other Men's life even if it's a worldwide business
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast