Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Lance Armstrong in ruins? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lance Armstrong in ruins?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    The only surprise here is Armstrong admitting to anything. Inside the competitive cycling community, many of us suspected or knew that he and so many others were doping. It was a known reality that irritated many, especially having to watch Lance destroy anyone who challenged him while he paraded his lies. The rest of the world didn't want to hear anything negative, so many of us were ostracized for even bringing it up.

This is the beginning of a long awaited justice for the former teammates he has slandered and hurt. I feel for them. I also feel for the many people who have looked up to Armstrong as a roll model, be it cancer patients or young athletes.
    Hi Tig-

I'm not too heavily involved in the whole scandal, but after reading this thread I will give props to you for standing firm in your assertions about Armstrong. I never cared enough to really give him a fair shot at innocence, but I think you've been more than fair in your information-gathering. I just wanted to say that you deserve some credit for holding your ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Hi Tig-

I'm not too heavily involved in the whole scandal, but after reading this thread I will give props to you for standing firm in your assertions about Armstrong. I never cared enough to really give him a fair shot at innocence, but I think you've been more than fair in your information-gathering. I just wanted to say that you deserve some credit for holding your ground.
    Wow, thanks, Eric!

I've had mixed feelings about Lance for some time now. I never wanted to believe that he was mixed up in anything at first. Even if he and everyone were clean, he would likely have won all or most or the 7 TdF's because he is a naturally gifted athlete with an incredible drive. That drive comes from his type double-A personality, which also makes him unbearable in person.

His support for cancer patients has been beyond admirable. I hope the world remembers him for this if nothing else.

What always made me and so many others angry is how he treated so many people who challenged him on the PED allegations. Civil cases were lost by some, and others had their careers lost because of his aggressive attacks.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

At this point I pretty much see Lance Armstrong as a terrible person that raised a lot of money for cancer research. That act was truly worthwhile regardless of how ethically bankrupt he appears to be otherwise. It's mostly the way he destroyed people's lives and careers sticking to his lies over the years. Perhaps now he can raise money to make up for what he did to all of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lance Armstrong in ruins?

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    At this point I pretty much see Lance Armstrong as a terrible person that raised a lot of money for cancer research. That act was truly worthwhile regardless of how ethically bankrupt he appears to be otherwise. It's mostly the way he destroyed people's lives and careers sticking to his lies over the years. Perhaps now he can raise money to make up for what he did to all of them.
    Except I read a big investigative article showing how little of the money that is raised actually goes to research.

I was a Lance defender for the most part. Now I feel like an idiot.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Except I read a big investigative article showing how little of the money that is raised actually goes to research.

I was a Lance defender for the most part. Now I feel like an idiot.
    Live Strong was focused more on cancer patient support than research.

Don't feel bad for believing in someone that by all appearance, did great things in so many different levels. Honest people expect honesty in others. It hurts, but maintaining faith does that sometimes.

The Oprah interview was done really well. They certainly prepared her for it.

Lance was open and answered most of the questions with honesty. He wisely avoided slandering anyone along the way. "The truth shall set you free"

Post Thanks / Like

I live near the Hincapie's. A really great family. George and Lance have been friends since they were teenagers. George rode on all 7 of Lance's Tour wins. George is one of the reasons Lance won number 7, in fact. When he said 'Yes, Lance dopes.' that was all I needed to hear. He's not a liar.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    I live near the Hincapie's. A really great family. George and Lance have been friends since they were teenagers. George rode on all 7 of Lance's Tour wins. George is one of the reasons Lance won number 7, in fact. When he said 'Yes, Lance dopes.' that was all I needed to hear. He's not a liar.
    In the interview, Lance expressed that George's testimony carried the most weight, as he was so credible. When George testified about his and Lance's doping, the case was complete and he knew there was no reason to fight the charges.

I met George at the US Junior Track Nationals when he was still an amateur. He was a friendly, confident kid that everyone knew would go on to great things. He and a few other juniors arrived early and raced in our weekly track races. I drew him in a matched sprint race where he blew my doors off completely. I hope he continues to do well with the family clothing company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hincapie was my favorite of the Postal Team era (and Discovery) I distinctly remember a cam on a lead car ahead of Hincapie hammering over some cobbles in Belgium. I can't remember what year, leading his team and Lance on to a victorious day. The look of determination on his face as he lead the charge was super inspiring to me. To me, he was always the hero of those teams. I loved watching those races, always knew Lance was kind of an ***, kept my mind open on the doping, and enjoyed the show. Kinda sad that that whole era of racing is so tainted now. Lance was more an ******* about it, but seems like near all the top competitors and teams were involved too.

Of course lies and cheating is wrong, and unfortunately a whole lot of athletes did that in many sports. Marion Jones, who seemed so wholesome and such a good role model, broke my heart when she was caught. Where I really break with Lance was how he treated others that challenged him. People have long memories, and apparently he was much more of a jerk than many caught in the apparently slimy business of bike racing back then. The cheating was a sad business altogether. Unfortunately, Lance distinguished himself by conduct beyond the cheating that others did.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    He's still tops in my book and over the years he's passed all the tests. That's final to me. I stand by Lance no matter whether he did or not. He's a champion and this is a stupid witch hunt.
    What are your thoughts now Spud?

Post Thanks / Like

He's still the best athlete in this arena in my opinion. He just happens to have very low moral standards and a total lack of empathy. Not a great guy, but still a great physical specimen. Contador, De Lucia and others were also doping and they still couldn't beat him.

So, I do appreciate what he accomplished racing, how he brought the sport to the front for Americans, who are the citizens most able to afford to participate in the sport but don't, but I don't begrudge him for doping. I do think the way he treated people was deplorable.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Interesting. I will have to read up on that. Thanks.

So, I do appreciate what he accomplished racing, how he brought the sport to the front for Americans, who are the citizens most able to afford to participate in the sport but don't...
    Of course, now there's a large percentage of Americans who knew little or nothing about the sport and now think of it as the sport where everybody cheats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Of course, now there's a large percentage of Americans who knew little or nothing about the sport and now think of it as the sport where everybody cheats.
    A lot of them did/do cheat at the pro level, but that doesn't mean that anyone else participating at the local level has to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It would be catastrophic if the NFL tested at the same level as cycling, which random tests out of season. I remember the commissioner saying he "won't let the players become pin cushions" (blood tests in place of urine tests). Ah, but that's a new thread...

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of them did/do cheat at the pro level, but that doesn't mean that anyone else participating at the local level has to.
    Of course not. The more people publicly condemning the cheaters should hopefully carry the message to the lower levels of the sport.

And Tig is absolutely right, if the NFL had a similar drug-testing regime in place, there'd be no season because too many guys would be suspended. Perhaps the cyclists just need better collective bargaining?

Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't affect the general public the same way that continually testing football players would...because the only people that give a crap about cycling is cyclists. Did you know that the highest paid and most highly regarded professional athlete in the early 1900s was a cyclist? I would have loved to be competing back then...uh, knowing what I know now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I read the biography of Marshall "Major" Taylor, the first pro black athlete during that time. I'm not sure how well he was paid, but he dominated the sport.

Post Thanks / Like

Lance and team did what they had to do to win. It is nothing more nothing less.

He benifited from the most succesful doping program in sports history.

Like it or not US Postal/Discovery kicked the worlds collective buts 7 times during what was/is probably the most doped sporting contest

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Soaring View Post

Like it or not US Postal/Discovery kicked the worlds collective buts 7 times during what was/is probably the most doped sporting contest

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Soaring View Post

I think that'd be fair if Armstrong didn't deny it so vehemently for so long.

If the contention is "everybody cheats, we just did it better" than he shouldn't spend a decade trashing the lives of anyone who was telling a truth you suggest he should be proud of. He should have thanked those people for helping the public see what a phenomenal success he was at cheating.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast