Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New-to-me Vox AC15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New-to-me Vox AC15

Post Thanks / Like

Default New-to-me Vox AC15

Not just any AC15--this is a 2007 Vox 50th Anniversary Heritage Series hand-wired AC15 1x12 combo. The model designation is AC15H1TV. I was particularly interested in this model not only because of the hand-wired quality factor, but also because it uses the original 1958 AC15 EF86 preamp circuit on one channel and the 12AX7-based '63 Top Boost design on the other. I had been looking for the head version of this amp for a while, but those seem to be as rare as hen's teeth. Then I came across this one on eBay; the seller had the 1x12 combo version loaded with a Chinese Celestion G12M Greenback up for bid. My understanding is that this model originally came with an Alnico Blue, and it so happens that I had just bought one of those off my local CraigsList. So we cut a deal whereby he removed the speaker and I bought the amp for $140 less than the BIN price he had listed, as a "best offer".

I've had the amp for two weeks now, so finally got around to snapping a bunch of photos tonight. Had the back off anyway to swap in a NOS Mullard (rebranded to GE) EF86 preamp tube (which sounds fabulous), so it seemed like an opportune time to grab some pix. It has a couple of nicks in the tolex and the handle is scuffed up, but otherwise it's in very good shape. No functional problems at all.

I'm very pleased with this amp so far. LOUD for 15W, so I've been playing it mostly through a Weber MicroMASS attenuator. The Top Boost cahnnel has great top-end definition and more overall clarity, but the EF86 has a full, rich character that is very attractive, and sounds absolutely gorgeous when overdriven. The stock EF86 (Russian, I think--it's wrapped in a vibration-damping material, so I can't see the labeling) sounded good, but the NOS Mullard tube takes it to a whole 'nother level. I generally find that I prefer a given amp either clean (like my octal-modded Blues Junior) or dirty (like my 18W clone), but this one sounds great either way. Lots of EQ/tonal options, too, with pentode/triode switches for both the EF86 and output stages, and two types of bass cut controls on the EF86 channel. The Top Boost channel has treble & bass controls, and there's a master top cut control that affects both channels.

I left the Celestion Alnico Blue in the separate 1x12 cab I had mounted it in, and have been playing the amp mostly through that or a 2x12 cab I have loaded with a WGS Green Beret (Greenback clone) and an Eminence Redcoat Wizard. I had a spare WGS Veteran 30 (V30 clone) that I wasn't using, so I've installed that in the AC15 cabinet, but haven't used it much yet. I've yet to find anything that the amp didn't sound good through, though.

Here are the photos:

Last edited by duhvoodooman; January 13th, 2014 at 09:31 AM. Reason: updated image URL's
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Love point to point amps, well done for the purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd love to have an AC-15, and that is a great one. HNAD!

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet score.....delicious tubular sounds for sure................Ah......how to say.......but when you ADD a new member to your herd......another one goes bye-bye.........whatcha cuttin' loose?

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations.

That is a remarkable amp. Those AC15's are very cool, home friendly amps; and yours is a really special version. That cream color gives it a cool vibe.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. Just awesome.

Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

I played one of those at a Guitar Center a few years ago and was absolutely blown away by it. I should have bought it. Congratulations.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! I saw an indie band with one of the guitarists playing a Dot into an AC15 on Sunday night. Sounded great. I use the "Vox" channel on my little Super Champ XD for almost all my distortion with that amp, so I bet a real AC15 of AC30 would be right up my street.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    Congrats! I saw an indie band with one of the guitarists playing a Dot into an AC15 on Sunday night. Sounded great. I use the "Vox" channel on my little Super Champ XD for almost all my distortion with that amp, so I bet a real AC15 of AC30 would be right up my street.
    I was listening/watching a good demo of the AC-15 from proguitarshops.com, and then cranked up my SCX2's "Dirty Compressed VOX" setting, and was happy with the likeness. Sure, the real thing can't be beat. I'd still jump on one if I get the chance.

Post Thanks / Like

When you get the volume up around 2 o'clock on the EF86 channel, the preamp overdrive is a beautiful thing. This tube type--it's a pentode, rare for preamp tubes--is prone to microphonicity, but when you get a good one, whoo-hoo!!!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice! I love that amph!

this looks funny though:
    Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    The model designation is AC15H1TV.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Nice! I love that amph!

this looks funny though:
    Well, somebody's got a dirty mind, don't they?

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am such a juvenile at times.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Taken during our time in the studio in June. bone stock '72 LP deluxe into the studio's AC15. What beautiful sounds. My first exposure to the AC series up close and personal. I'm jealous, DVM. Enjoy it in good health!

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Bob I can't keep up with your purchases! Nice amph too.

Post Thanks / Like

DVM....you mention the "chinese Celestion Greenback G12M" that you had him remove....I notice Vox seems to mention the "Custom Vox Celestion Greenback G12M" with many of their products. What's the story on those speakers? Are they different than other modern greenbacks?

One of these amps is available locally, you've got me considering it. Were there problems with some that should be looked for?

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

The standard Celestion Greenback these days is the G12M model, produced in China along with the vast majority of Celestion's other speaker offerings. Very good ceramic magnet speaker, extremely popular, rated for 25W, and sells for $125 pretty much everywhere: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...60250000000612

Celestion also makes a "Heritage" line of speakers that are purportedly built to all the "vintage specs", and are still produced in the UK. Unsurprisingly, they are significantly more expensive. The G12M Heritage is rated for 20W and typically sells for $219, though I have seen it for as low as $175. Note the different speaker label, which specifies "Made in England": http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...60258000000612

Whether or not it is worth the premium, I couldn't tell you. Only your ears can do that. My point in bringing it up was that the AC15H1TV that I bought didn't have the original Celestion Alnico Blue installed in it, which is a MUCH more expensive speaker, typically selling for ~$300. Consequently, I was able to negotiate a lower price.

As far as things to look for in the amp--obviously, make sure that the Alnico Blue is there if the seller is charging accordingly. Also, I would definitely recommend playing through the amp at a decently high volume level on the EF86 channel to makes sure the tube isn't microphonic, since this tube type is prone to that issue. If it is microphonic, it will need to be replaced and they go for about $25 - 30 each for new production tubes. JJ makes a good one.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

So, a Chinese G12M is a Chinese G12M....Vox isn't getting some proprietary variety? Seems that would be poor decision making on Celestions part.

I'm now a much more informed consumer. Thank you, Mr. Man, sir!

Post Thanks / Like

DVM...

2 channels, 2 inputs per channel, EQ, Bass shift, Pentode/triode, EF86 mode.....this thing seems just ridiculously versatile. Is it that good?

I continue to wish....heretical as this may sound.....to want to find that ONE combo that I can make a long term commitment to. PAF's or singles, semi, or solid, simple pedals, and be able to get what I need from it. With all those options, Vox cleans, and what I heard from the AC15 I posted a pic of above(completely different amp though, really)....this seems too good to be true. Is it?

I know you've got an R9, a Dot, tele's and Strats and you know how to use them. Can this amp do them all justice? Maybe the better question is...what doesn't it do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast