Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guitar day -- 2012 LP Standard

Post Thanks / Like

Tone2TheBone: Haven't changed strings yet. But I have the locking tuners on my Strat and like it a lot. Love not having to put much wrap on the machine heads.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott View Post
    Tio Komo: I didn't put that very accurately. The 339 was quite versatile and I especially liked it for pure bluesy stuff like BB King. I really had no issues with the guitar other than I wanted this LP and the 339 helped bring in the dough -- bought it used and got the same as I paid for it two years ago! Same with the PRS. Love both but found I was typically getting more use from my Tele and Strat onstage. The LP gives me a complete arsenal I'm happy with -- but I still miss the 339.

About the Mesa: it was excellent with the 339. I typically run through the clean channel to get best definition, gain at about 2 oclock just starting break up. Use a pedalboard for more drive. The Lone Star is a hyper responsive amp that sounds best when most of the controls are used conservatively. It takes a bit of time to get settings you like, but once you get them it's hard to beat. And the 3-wattage selection is very useful. 5 watts is perfect for home and recording, although I've done gigs with it. 15 watts works perfectly in a smallish room and the 30 watt option makes sure you can get solos out front with headroom to spare. My only beef with it is it is quite heavy for its size. That's a small sacrifice for the guts and tone it delivers. Plus it's built like the proverbial brick xxxhouse so plenty sturdy. (Also has a honkin big gorgeous spring reverb)
    Well, since YOU went there...LOL

so you find this amp will work well with the tele and the semi, with a little tweaking? I'd love to hear that "jush" braking up tone with buckers. I find I love a creamy breakup, but then still want to have the hacksaw tone on tap at volume, probably way to much to ask
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, that's what I find, although I dunno what jush is. The key with this amp and my Baha Tele is my Diamond compressor -- fantastic little made in Canada pedal. It has EQ as well comp and volume. I find if I stomp it for breaking up Tele stuff, the snarl is there (eq about 2) with the right tele pickup combo. With the 339 I just used the natural ability of the pickups and volume controls to hover in the BB clean tones and a tad more drive to add sustain. I will try to do some bucker tones soon and post them. Gig tonight and tomorrow so may be too bagged Sunday but we will see.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12