Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
New guitar day -- 2012 LP Standard
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guitar day -- 2012 LP Standard

Post Thanks / Like

Default New guitar day -- 2012 LP Standard

Decided to cull the herd a bit. Got rid of three nice guitars -- although second tier -- and replaced the three with one: a 2012 LP Standard. Lovin it so far -- could give my Strat a run for #1. The coil splitters and bypass really do make it a much more versatile beast than other LPs I've played in the past.

Here are some pix, will send some tones soon.

https://www.box.com/s/qxu8ptafg768ex3llia3

https://www.box.com/s/qxu8ptafg768ex3llia3

https://www.box.com/s/u29z757me32z4edbu4ij

https://www.box.com/s/uoxs66cxbgq3jt52z8mh

https://www.box.com/s/h4tyzkfoknkglltvzgh7
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Howie!... looks like a keeper
    You can never go wrong with quality over quantity.

Cheers
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! Do those come with a pick guard?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

A real beauty. Love the top.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

yummy!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet score.......coil splitting is nice to have. Hey, what amp is that in the background?.........Mesa Bogie Lonestar Special?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have never had a gibby or any neck-bucker guitar that I didn't mod to have at least splittable coils at the neck, always loved it. Never had much use for a bucker neck sound really as I don't play dark jazz or thick violin leads.

In fact my fave on my '92 LP standard was to have the neck pickup not just split but wired in twin-single coil mode giving me pretty much the strat 2nd position sound on neck pup.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Yup, that's my Lone Star Special back there. 5-15-30 watts. Go to gigging amp.

DVM, the top is one of the things that really struck me, but it also played the best out of about 8 I tried. Although they were all pretty good. The PLEK setup thing is not hype -- it really works. I can even play slide on it, which is unusual for me on a relatively low strung guitar with 10s instead of the usual 11s. Just seems to be the perfect setup.

Spud, it does have a pick guard. I'm wrestling with whether to use it or not. I don't bash like I used to, so the body might be safe if I don't use it. I'll probably monitor for pick wear and the first I see of it will install. Not sure I want the one that came standard though as it's a colour that doesn't really enhance the finish -- sort of a butterscotch.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

yea man that's a beauty!

Post Thanks / Like

congrats nice axe quality or quantity any day!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love the top! HNGD!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh baby, that's sweet!

I don't play guitars very often, but when I do I grab a Les Paul.

I'll echo the others and say good move to quality.

Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Gotta be honest and say that I miss two of the three trade victims -- Gibson ES339 and PRS CE-22. But the more I play the LP the more I think it was a good move.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Default New guitar day -- 2012 LP Standard

That's a beauty, but for a 339 + 2? A 339 is fine fine axe.

Sounds like you're really loving it though. Congrats!

Ive got some questions about the lone star too. Is there thread around here on that so I don't hijack this'un??
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Tio Kimo, probably sounds weird. Loved both the 339 and PRS. But a couple of years ago I promised to myself I wouldn't spend incremental dollars on the music family in the interest of the real family , so I only spend if I'm divesting as well as acquiring. Tough though because I get stupid attached to most of my guitars including the ones I traded. Much as I liked the other two (the third was an old Squier Tele) I wasn't using them much outside the house. The gig rig is my Strat, Tele and I wanted one more. The 339 served part of that but wasn't really versatile. Then I started reading and trying out the new LPs and made the call. Right or wrong who knows. Time will tell. Left to my own devices I'd still have every guitar I ever owned. Happy to answer any questions you have about the Lone Star, but have to warn you I'm not terribly knowledgeable about amps -- sorry, amphs. Ask here or in the amp thread and I'll tell you what I can. Sure love that amp.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats on your new guitar day!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott View Post
    Tough though because I get stupid attached to most of my guitars including the ones I traded.
    I completely resonate with that!
    The 339 served part of that but wasn't really versatile.
    this surprises me because I've always felt that one of the advantages to a semi was it's wide array of possible tones. Modifying the electronics is a PIA, for sure.

Happy to answer any questions you have about the Lone Star, but have to warn you I'm not terribly knowledgeable about amps -- sorry, amphs. Ask here or in the amp thread and I'll tell you what I can. Sure love that amp.
    I'll start a thread there soon. Basically, as a semi guy, and somebody looking for a good gig volume amp, that lonestar seems like an investment, super versatile design wise. Like to know what you found tonally with your 339, but in a way, this thread answers that question.

Glad you're having fun with the new axe though!!
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Nice guitar. I'm with Spud I was gonna ask about a pickguard. I noticed Gibson has been putting round button locking Grovers on their LPs lately. Have you utilized that feature often?

Post Thanks / Like

Tio Komo: I didn't put that very accurately. The 339 was quite versatile and I especially liked it for pure bluesy stuff like BB King. I really had no issues with the guitar other than I wanted this LP and the 339 helped bring in the dough -- bought it used and got the same as I paid for it two years ago! Same with the PRS. Love both but found I was typically getting more use from my Tele and Strat onstage. The LP gives me a complete arsenal I'm happy with -- but I still miss the 339.

About the Mesa: it was excellent with the 339. I typically run through the clean channel to get best definition, gain at about 2 oclock just starting break up. Use a pedalboard for more drive. The Lone Star is a hyper responsive amp that sounds best when most of the controls are used conservatively. It takes a bit of time to get settings you like, but once you get them it's hard to beat. And the 3-wattage selection is very useful. 5 watts is perfect for home and recording, although I've done gigs with it. 15 watts works perfectly in a smallish room and the 30 watt option makes sure you can get solos out front with headroom to spare. My only beef with it is it is quite heavy for its size. That's a small sacrifice for the guts and tone it delivers. Plus it's built like the proverbial brick xxxhouse so plenty sturdy. (Also has a honkin big gorgeous spring reverb)
    helliott in Hamilton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast