Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chromatic lick in the style of Charlie Parker

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chromatic lick in the style of Charlie Parker

I recorded a video lesson of a little jazz lick I learned from Charlie Parker.

This one is in the key of E. I think the tune I learned this lick from was "Now's The Time".

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_.../lesson-42.php

Pay attention to how then notes go chromatically from the Major Second up to the Perfect Fifth. Cool chromatic move!

Let me know what you think!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Not one response? Was it too confusing or are there no one interested in jazz around here?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Robert,

That's a great lick! I really like that kind of chromatic stuff.
    Thanks for sharing that.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

I must'a missed your post the first time Robert.

Incredibly excellent licks there!

I just wish that you had tab, or better yet music notation.

I play guitar in the basement & my computer is upstairs, so although seeing you play helps I forget it all by the time I get to my guitar.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Robert I finally got back to check it out. My computer has been invaded by my son and It has been tough getting on lately. World of Warcraft is the culprit.

Awesome lesson, Jazz is ultimately where I want to go.
    M29

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked that one Robert, and I learnt it just now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, glad you like it. I just made a tab:

Code:
    |------------------------------------------------|
    |--------8-9-10-11-12-10-12-10-9-----------------|
    |---9-11-------------------------9------9-9-9----|
    |-9--------------------------------11-9----------|

Post Thanks / Like

cool....thanks robert....the tab really helps!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Not one response? Was it too confusing or are there no one interested in jazz around here?
    Absolutely not!!! it was great. I posted my thanks in the wrong place in the Charlie Parker thread. Thank you. I will put some time in to learning it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I´ve must have missed it.. Very cool sounding on the tele!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, glad you like it. I just made a tab:

Code:
    |--------8-9-10-11-12-10-12-10-9-----------------|
    |---9-11-------------------------9------9-9-9----|
    |-9--------------------------------11-9----------|
    Wowee!! It must be Christmas. Thanks Robert!!!

Is there some kind of software that'll do automatic transcribing into music notation & tab? If so is there a free one? Does it require midi?

I'm trying to think of a way to make transcription easy for Robert.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting lick!! Thanks Robert for sharing it
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb II, Tech21 TM30
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:
    http://www.blackframe.gr

Personal Myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/eliasavdikos

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome guys. I use PowerTab, and it can play the tab and it also produces music notation. I can put it too on my website if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Is there some kind of software that'll do automatic transcribing into music notation & tab? If so is there a free one? Does it require midi?
    I know that TablEdit can import MIDI files and convert them to tab. I've never tried to check it's accuracy though. I was impressed enough that it worked!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Nice lick robert!

Yes more of these for me, thank you.

At the risk of hijacking your thread, I was recently started transposing something that I was doing on the sax to guitar as a learning tool. I have an excellent jazz book for alto sax book that this backing track is from. There are a lot of good songs on there but most with a pre-bird feel to them.

This is just me with backing track at the beginning.
    http://www.box.net/public/6zhmkj1gp5

edited to upload in .mp3 instead of .wav
    http://www.box.net/public/fys2nlg70q

It's actually a lot of work because this kind of jazz doesn't seem to have any "boxes" that it sticks to, so any note is possible, and then you have to figure out what position/string to play each note on. And there are a lot of notes..waaa waaa waaa.

I just don't know if this is worth it because I don't know if there are many people living who want to hear this kind of stuff. I guess I am just doing it because I like it and it's a good excersize.

I just noticed that:

a) I am too loud in the mix (what else is new)
    b) I am picking too hard (That was somewhat on purpose, because sometimes when I was playing this I would half hit notes that would sound muffled so I was trying to over play them just to get them to ring.
    c) The .mp3 sounds really bad.

oh well.
    Last edited by Moshe; December 26th, 2006 at 09:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You're welcome guys. I use PowerTab, and it can play the tab and it also produces music notation. I can put it too on my website if anyone is interested.
    Just finished re-watching your lesson and learning the lick. I love how you teach. It works very well for me. This lesson was very fun and cool. I enjoyed it very much, and it is different from what I have been doing,which has been working mostly on some pentatonic scales and licks. Thanks! Also putting the PowerTab on your website would be cool.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Robert this is exactly what I'm needing right now.... getting out of the box even a little (going to that 8th fret OH NOOO ) is what I'm really weak on..
    Strat
    Rivera
    ENGL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alanfc
    getting out of the box even a little (going to that 8th fret OH NOOO ) is what I'm really weak on..
    heck i'm weak inside the box, outside the box, on top of the box, maybe i should just crawl under a box

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    heck i'm weak inside the box, outside the box, on top of the box, maybe i should just crawl under a box
    I think I misplaced my box.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast