Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Low Wattage Tube Ideas

Thread: Low Wattage Tube Ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Low Wattage Tube Ideas

Ok, so I am lookig for a low wattage (5 or less watts) tube amp. Combos preferably. I have a few in mind, Marshall class 5, Blackstar Ht1-r, Vox AC4, epiphone Valve jr, and Fender Champ 600. Any experiences youd like to share or favorites in the race?

sound off!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Low Wattage Tube Ideas

Copied from an old thread....

Still have it. Still love it. it'll do 1/2 watt in the bedroom, or 50 watt in the club, drive a 4x12 if you can find one.
    and it's got toobs....

http://www.mahaffayamps.com/little-lanilei-3350lt.htm
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Those Lanileis are worth looking at. I came close to getting one myself but couldn't quite take the leap of faith to buy one without hearing it in the flesh (i'm in Aus). The guy is good to deal with, very helpful. The amps seem well made (based on reviews and youtube) and are incredibly flexible in terms of power output. And very reasonable prices.

Post Thanks / Like

I dig the Class 5... Played one in a store with a double 'bucker, set neck guitar... It just sounded better the more I turned up the volume knob.

The Little Lanileis look cool as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the vht stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Mack Gem..... .4W up to 4W. Combo or head. Great little amp

http://www.mackamps.com/gem-head-combo/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, probably no help at all but I've had a handful of tiny toob amps from VJr to H&K Cream Machine and a few others, including a handbuilt one that could do 5 to 15W...and, meh...I just get better sounds at very low volume from SS anyway, so that's what I like to use.

It's not that toob amps don't sound good, it's just that while they do, you have such a strong feeling the sound will improve if I crank it up just a touch...and can't resist doing so, and then it's already too loud. Playing them at really low volumes just annoys.

If you keep them at real bedroom volumes, that is just very frustrating. So my vote goes for Behringer GMX 110 - best bedroom amp I ever had. Tech21 TM-10 is the shaite as well, very similar and so simple you can't get a bad sound out of it.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by modernp View Post
    Don't forget the vht stuff.
    +1. Cheap, good and point to point so easily modded if you're into that. My Special 6 has huge transformers for a small amp too.

Post Thanks / Like

seems that a lot of these have been popping up on the local CL. Don't know much about them but they seem like a great value.....Vox night train?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/3250081403.html
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe thats not such a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Laney Cub 12