Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
2012 Hyndman Peak climb with Sunvalleylaw

Thread: 2012 Hyndman Peak climb with Sunvalleylaw

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2012 Hyndman Peak climb with Sunvalleylaw

Steve and I have birthdays close together. So to assert our youth and longevity we have been endeavoring to do an active trip together around the time of our birthdays. This time was to climb something high, Hyndman Peak (12,030') in the Pioneer range in central Idaho. We hit the trail at 7:30 am and cycled 3 miles up the single track approach in the canyon. We then ditched the bikes and hiked the rest of the way up and finished up around 5 pm. A long day to say the least.

Here is the link to a slide show of trip pictures. The speed of the show can be altered at the top right corner.
    http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w...view=slideshow

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Spuddy, it was a fun trip!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great slideshow, guys!

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a very high angle for those boulders to be resting on!

The geology around there looks incredible. I'd love to visit that area!

Awesome pics Spud!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    That looks like a very high angle for those boulders to be resting on!
    Not all of it feels very stable. It was better to stay in the larger rocks that were better anchored, higher up near the top edge of the ridge, rather than in the looser debris down below the edge of the ridge. At least for climbing. After we descended a while off the top, we cut over to a funnel of scree that had a trail in it to descend a bit more directly. But the medium sized (soccer ball to basketball, along with lunch trays) rock was scary to be walking in, for me at least. If i ht a patch like that, I would find a re-route to some bigger stuff that was more stable.

A lot of Idaho is this way. I took a couple geology courses at UW in seattle, but that was all cascade based stuff. This is different. Older rock, from deeper in some cases. Batholith plays a role as I understand it. http://imnh.isu.edu/digitalatlas/geo...th/bathdex.htm The rock that came up from deeper down brought a lot of the gems, precious metals and etc. up that have formed a lot of Idaho's mining history. A lot of the rock looks very layered as you can see in the pics.

Here is a link to my pics. http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome trip, enjoyed the slideshow thats rugged terrain!

Post Thanks / Like

The bottoms of my feet still hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Spectacular! Thanks for sharing you guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post

A lot of Idaho is this way. I took a couple geology courses at UW in seattle, but that was all cascade based stuff. This is different. Older rock, from deeper in some cases. Batholith plays a role as I understand it. http://imnh.isu.edu/digitalatlas/geo...th/bathdex.htm The rock that came up from deeper down brought a lot of the gems, precious metals and etc. up that have formed a lot of Idaho's mining history. A lot of the rock looks very layered as you can see in the pics.

Here is a link to my pics. http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/
    Great pics Steve!

The rocks look sedimentary although I'd suspect at least some degree of metamorphism. And definitely shot through with dikes and sills of darker igneous rock (basalt?).

The country there is so much drier than what I'm used to seeing.

I hiked up Sauk Mountain in the North Cascades with my son yesterday. Had a blast up there. No berries though.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool!

You guys ROCK.

Literally.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding photos and narrative. And you guys are amazing. Makes my daily bike rides seem puny by comparison, but there's inspiration there for sure. Thanks so much for sharing this.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

We also stopped, the night before, during a mountain bike ride to listen to some friends play some music too.