Thread: Upgrading the tuners on an MIM Strat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Upgrading the tuners on an MIM Strat

Ok, The other day I was at Sam Ash and they had the Fender Schaller locking tuners for 59.99 (yeah I know I can get them cheaper online, but id still have to pay shipping)

So anyhow I would love to upgrade but Ive heard that you have to enlarge the holes.

Is this an overly difficult task? Is there more to it than just running a bigger drill bit thru the existing holes?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Big_Rob; December 22nd, 2006 at 07:40 AM.
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Not true! I've put locking tuners on all my MIMs without any modification whatsoever. Just plop them in and away you go!

Once you've had locking tuners you'll never be satisfied with anything else.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    Not true! I've put locking tuners on all my MIMs without any modification whatsoever. Just plop them in and away you go!

Once you've had locking tuners you'll never be satisfied with anything else.

Sweeet! thanx for the info!
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chicken Rob. Let us know how it goes. I've often thought about installing locking tuners on (in?) my Godins.

Sorry, I had a little prepositional (or perhaps I mean positional) vapo-lock there.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Locking Tuners suggestion

I have Schallers but I found some better ones:
    Planet Waves with built in string cutter

Post Thanks / Like

fendermojoman, I´m very interested in the Planet Waves tuners. How good are they, and do they fit guitars that has grovers?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planet Waves

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    fendermojoman, I´m very interested in the Planet Waves tuners. How good are they, and do they fit guitars that has grovers?
    There are several different models (6 in line & 3 + 3). I asked several questions before buying. Things to consider:
    The Shaft diameter of your headstock
    The Shaft Height
    The back side attaching screw holes

For a fender Strat, they went on perfectly, I did add another string tree and they work very well.
    I also put them on my Telecaster too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have sperzels on my paul, and Im getting them for my strat in two weeks. I love them. It makes it so my Girlfriend/Rodie can change my strings if I break one and switch to my backup.