Thread: Vox DA5 - replaced with the Mini 3? - comp to MicroCube?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Vox DA5 - replaced with the Mini 3? - comp to MicroCube?

I am shopping for a small portable amph I can use at my sister's in France, during short stays.

I had my eyes on the well-known Vox DA-5, but found it was discontinued, at least in Europe, from what I can see.
    The Vox Mini 3 seems to take the Da-5 concept and add to it.

Two questions:
    Did anybody try the Mini 3?
    A reviewer thought they screwd up the AC modeling..!

I am very fond of my Roland Cube 30X
    Should I just stick with the MicroCube then?

Notes:
    For reference, this is mostly to play via headphones, and occasionally via combo speaker, powered most often from wall outlet, but also occasionally from batteries.

I had also considered using:
    - a Pocket Pod or such, but that does not give me the speaker option, and typically is more settings that I need
    - a small rig built around a Danelectro HoneyTone, a couple of pedals, and a premium 8-10" speaker sitting on top of a cardboard tube...
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

I've no experience with the Mini 3 but it has the same layout as the DA5 so...

I've had a DA5 and now have a Microcube. I prefer the cleans on the 'cube and the effects are less fussy to use. On the DA5 I usually just put the AC15 model on 3/4 gain and rode it from my tele's volume. The Brit Combo on the cube can do this too but it's more like the AC30TB model on the DA. I never really liked the high gain sounds on the DA beyond the JCM800 model. I like the cube's Classic stack and Rectifier models (ymmv).

On the whole I think the Microcube is a great little modeller that just does the job without menus, patches and all that guff. It sounds better through decent headphones than its speaker.

Microcubes have been around longer and are easier to find used. When I went looking for used DA5s they seemed to be quite expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Be aware that France uses a different voltage than the US!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried both today at GC.
    Different, both very good for my purpose.
    It is hard to give the Roland JC120 clean... and the build is more solid.

It would be easier to tap into the speaker hook-up to add a switching jack for external cab on the Vox, but, I assume, not impossible on the Cube.

No wrong choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Hound View Post
    Be aware that France uses a different voltage than the US!
    But they both use external power supplies which can be had from a local electronics shop.

Post Thanks / Like

The amph will be purchased locally, and I am hoping the power block will be included, even though sometimes vendors cheap out on this.

And yes, I am familiar with local electricals, I own a electric range there, which has a nasty habit (they all do that: fan comes on after oven power-off, I assume, to bring down the temp fast. Noisy and distracting)

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Mini 3 and love it. I take it to work for practice between calls. Everyone that hears it can't believe all that tone and volume is coming from such a small amp. And just enough effects for anything I'm playing. The only thing I dont like is the headphone out but that could be the cheap phones I was using. For what it is I give it a solid 8.5. Wasn't too bad on the wallet either.