Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New BYOC Tweed Royal amp kit available for pre-order!

Thread: New BYOC Tweed Royal amp kit available for pre-order!

Post Thanks / Like

Default New BYOC Tweed Royal amp kit available for pre-order!

The new BYOC Tweed Royal amp kit is now available for pre-order. Pre-orders will be accepted until Oct. 26, and are scheduled to ship on or before Nov. 5, which is the official kit release date. Cabinets offered for the kit are either a 1x12 combo or a head. Additionally, BYOC is offering several extension cabs: 4x10, 2x12, 2x10 and 1x15, along with Jensen speakers to fill 'em. Cabinet coverings available are black tolex, tweed tolex, or lacquered tweed cloth ($25 upcharge). Check out all the tech details, options and pricing here: http://buildyourownclone.com/ampkitindex.html
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

wow.

is that pre-order price below the expected regular price?
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    is that pre-order price below the expected regular price?
    Not to my knowledge. I believe the sole benefit of pre-ordering is being able to get an amp kit shipped on the 11/5 release date. Regular ordering will start that date, but won't ship for 2 - 3 weeks thereafter.

Very reasonable pricing for the quality & features, I think. At the low end, the amp kit (includes tubes) and a tolex covered head cab would run you $600 + shipping. Move up to a 1x12 combo cab with the premium lacquered tweed cloth and a Jensen alnico P12R speaker and you're looking at $765. If you have your own tubes (2x12AX7, 2x6V6, 1x5Y3), knock $50 off those prices.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

drooldrool Damn, shorted out my keyboard again.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang! Just when I thought I was safe.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who may be "click-averse" to going over to the BYOC product page, here are all the gory tech details on this new amp kit. Quite the piece of technology with switchable 5F1 Champ and 5E3 Deluxe operating modes, plus tone and presence (negative feedback loop) controls that can be taken right out of the amp circuit when not used. I also understand that the power transformer will be able to handle 120V and 240V sources, so there's no "export version" constraint to deal with:

"Get all your low wattage, Tweed-era tone from one amp. The Tweed
    Royal is a true single ended AND push-pull output amp. Do not confuse this
    with all the other amps out there that simply switch between class A and class
    AB biasing (which the Tweed Royal does as well, btw), or change from a 6V6
    to an EL84, or go from 30watts to 1/2 a watt. That has nothing to do with
    changing the output of the amp from Push-Pull to Single Ended. The Tweed
    Royal is BOTH a Class A, Single Ended 5watt, single 6V6 amp just like the
    Fender 5F1 Champ, AND a Class AB, Push-Pull, 12watt, dual 6V6 amplifier
    just like the Fender 5E3 Deluxe.

The natural compression, rich 2nd order harmonics, and buttery overdrive
    of Single Ended output, or the crisp, articulate attack, higher headroom, and
    crunchy overdrive of Push-Pull output - real honest to goodness Single Ended
    output and Push-Pull output from a single amp with just the flip of a switch.
    You can't get that with just some clever cathode switching and tube swapping.
    It comes from the amp's transformers. The Tweed Royal features a special
    set of custom wound power and output transformers from Magnetic
    Components. Magnetic Components is a Chicago based company that has
    been winding transformers since 1943. They are the same company that
    made the transformers for all of the Valco brand amplifiers in the 50's and
    60's, including the Supro brand. These aren't just some guys who are winding
    transformers the old school way. These ARE the old school guys who are still
    winding transformers the exact same way they always have. We worked
    closely with the engineer at Magnetic Components for over a year to design
    the custom transformers for the BYOC Tweed Royal. The end result was a
    set of transformers that achieve something entirely new, but at the same time,
    deliver uncompromising and unmistakable vintage tweed-era tone.

The power amp section isn't the only place where we made innovations to
    a classic design. The preamp of the Tweed Royal allows you to dial in 5F1
    Champ tones, 5E3 Deluxe tones, and a whole lot of other in between tones.
    The tone knob on the Tweed Royal has a switch. When you turn it full turn
    counter-clockwise, it removes the tone knob from the circuit completely
    making the EQ more Champ-like.

The Cut knob on the Tweed Royal is similar to a Presence knob. It
    controls the amount of negative feedback from the output transformer to the
    phase inverter. But wait a minute! Neither the Champ nor the Deluxe had a
    Cut or Presence knob, right? Right. But what you might not know is that the
    Champ did have a negative feedback loop. It was just hardwired with a single
    resistor so you had no control over it. We added this negative feedback
    resistance, but we used a potentiometer instead so you can dial in exact
    Champ tones or other varying degrees of cut. And just like the tone knob,
    when you turn the cut knob full turn counter-clockwise, it removes it from the
    circuit completely and restores it to exact 5E3 Deluxe specs.

As with all BYOC products, the Tweed Royal features the finest
    components available: custom wound Classic Tone brand transformers from
    Magnetic Components; F&T power filter caps; Mallory and Sprague caps
    throughout the rest of the circuit; carbon comp resistors; lacquered cloth
    coverd wire; JJ vacuum tubes, and a turret lugged circuit board.

Cabinet/Speaker Options: We offer a 1x12 combo cabinet or a head cab
    to house your Tweed Royal amplifier. We also offer several extension cabs
    with various speaker combinations. Our cabinets are made of finger jointed
    solid pine. The speaker baffle and backs of the 1x12 combo and extension
    cabs are made from 13 ply birch. We offer 3 different options for the
    covering: tweed tolex with oxblood grill cloth and brown handle; black tolex
    with silver/blue grill cloth and black handle; or lacquered tweed with oxblood
    grill cloth and brown handle. All of our cabinets are made right here in our
    shop in Richland, WA USA."

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    For those of you who may be "click-averse" to going over to the BYOC product page, here are all the gory tech details on this new amp kit.
    Awright man, THAT's enough. Now you're just being mean.

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

My only objective is to inform & educate!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Got my BYOC Tweed Royal kit yesterday! I opted for the head version, so it also came with a nice laquered tweed head cabinet. Will probably start a new "build" thread over in the Mods, Project, etc. forum.

Not my photo, but here's a shot taken by another BYOC'er of his unpacked Tweed Royal kit with the same lacquered tweed head cab:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Get that puppy built so we can hear what she sounds like.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Should have it up & running by this weekend.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought you always let your amph kits age for a while before assembly.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Funny stuff, Rev. Be sure to give your writers a raise....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

THAT's what I like to hear!!

good luck with the build! Have a particular cab in mind?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    I thought you always let your amph kits age for a while before assembly.
    That really did make me Laugh Out Loud! Nice work Rev

I love amp build threads, and this one does sound interesting so I'll be watching along for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    good luck with the build! Have a particular cab in mind?
    I have two of them, either of which should work great: a 1x12 with a Celestion Alnico Blue and a 2x12 ported cab with a pair of Greenbacks in it.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting thread indeed I had a 5F11 amp build by a friend of mine but the combination of a Champ 5E3 together with the 5F1 is intriguing. Could that also includes the vibrato of an original Tweed Vibrolux circuit ? Do you know any video of this Royal amp ?
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

No, there's no vibrato. The circuit sticks to the 5F1/5E3 designs, with the addition of a presence (neg. feedback) control. No video yet, but Keith is hoping to have the time to do one soon.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

No, there's no vibrato. The circuit sticks to the 5F1/5E3 designs, with the addition of a presence (neg. feedback) control. No video yet, but Keith is hoping to have the time to do one soon.
    Thanks Man I would love to hear that combination !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface