Thread: Emmotional Clapton & Beck Notes...

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Emmotional Clapton & Beck Notes...

Greetings all! 'sup?
    I once read a guitar interview with 'EC' wherein he commented that he would aspire to be able to bring a tear to one's eye with just one note.
    I have stipulated for over 35 years that he accomplished an equivalent feat with not one but 4. in the first 4 notes of the guitar solo break from 'Bell bottom blues' on the Derek& the Dominoes Layla album. give the lyrics a close listen up to the break, then appreciate those first 4 notes. If it don't bring a lump I'll eat your hat! there's a few others in that solo, also done with the sort of pinch squeak picking-as i call it;that seems emotional if done in the right ballad tune. not to be confused with its' use by Gary Richrath almost anywhere a guitar break is inserted. No offense Gary, just an observation. Slowhand has also been quoted as saying(much to my extreme agreement!) that"On a good night there's probably no one better than Jeff Beck." But even from my ultra biased JB point of view, I'm not sure anyone can snag a sniffle out of you better than ol' EC. Except possibly Beck's own tune "Where were you" on which the maniac nails 8 notes 'on the nut' with only the 'wang bar' after-picking a 'false harmonic' that one even makes Joe Satriani's ears shoot out of his nostrils. I've seen Jeff do it close-up of both hands on a jumbotron while 'touring' the album it came from and it doesn't help you actually execute it. It's not that one can't understand how to 'do' the technique. Just requiring the God given gift of near perfect 'by ear' pitch along with a precise & non-spastic picking hand & how to set up a 'trem' ultra sensitively functional. whataya think gang? other sweet riffs in mind?

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean about those 4 notes in BB Blues - but that whole album is packed with emotional intensity - more so than perhaps any album I can think of. His heart was on his sleeve for that one, and the vocals show it too, both his and Bobby Whitlock's.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the emotional intensity on Bell Bottom Blues and the rest of Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs. It's been a long time since I listened to the album in its entirety. I think I am now due!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Fret, PLIMSOUL_1!
    I have to agree with the effect those expressive notes have. I became a Jeff Beck fan as a kid when I played my Dad's Blow By Blow album. "She's a Woman" remains one of my favorite songs to this day.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

When talking about the layla album lets not forget Duanes contribution.His fingers are all over this !!!!

Although the song B.B.B. was recorded before D.A. joined the sessions. E.C. played all the guitar parts and yes classic. I have Beck doing somewhere over the rainbow and I must admit it chokes me up everytime!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat View Post
    When talking about the layla album lets not forget Duanes contribution.His fingers are all over this !!!!

Although the song B.B.B. was recorded before D.A. joined the sessions. E.C. played all the guitar parts and yes classic. I have Beck doing somewhere over the rainbow and I must admit it chokes me up everytime!
    muddy,could you elaborate on which album somewhere over the rainbow is on?
    Thanks champ.long time JB fan too having grown up on Eric and Jeff.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJqrNAkndd0

Jeff Beck doing Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    muddy,could you elaborate on which album somewhere over the rainbow is on?
    Thanks champ.long time jb fan too having grown up on eric and jeff.

2010 emotion and commotion is the album i've got!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.been looking for an excuse to get it.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJqrNAkndd0

Jeff Beck doing Somewhere Over The Rainbow.
    Great link pie Thanks.leave it to JB to do it up right like he did a day in the life.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff for the semi-uneducated like me... especially the JB stuff, big blind spot for me.
    Preparing for a long trip, I was thinking of satisfying some cravings for some ZZ Top and M. Knopfer, but reading this, I am reworking my list...!
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

I like ZZ and Mark.reworking may not be as essential as adding to the list.something I've been doing for decades.it then comes down to prioritizing which has been a sticky.pulled the trigger on emotion n commotion yesterday.should compliment other J. Beck on tap. +1

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Jeff & emotion, check out this tune from years ago. It's amazing what can be done with no pick, no trem, no fancy effects,...just an old guitar & some fingers:

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean.saw Jeff when he appeared as a guest with the Michael Schencker group years ago.what was seen and heard totally blew me away as did the Truth album(Rod's debut).and then came live at Ronnie Scott's only to back up just how talented Jeff is along with those fantastic fingers. Superb would be an understatement.