Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Larry McRay

Thread: Larry McRay

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Larry McRay

I just stumbled on this guy, and he is good. There's a whole concert video on this page. Very good picture and sound quality, but it's not youtube so it can't be embedded here.

Check him out at http://wkar.org/post/larry-mccray-backstage-pass

Very good player and vocalist. A bit of a mixture of blues and R&B I think?

Larry McCray is widely known in Michigan and beyond for his major role in keeping the genre of blues alive. However, McCray doesn't even consider his band a blues band. "It's a whole different place," he says. "If you can't step outside the lines and put any of your own influence, then there's not really much of a future left for musicians."
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Larry Mac Cray was close to Albert King in his early days if I remember well, I have "Ambition" an album from him (1991) which is really excellent he has a great voice and the whole bag of guitar chops
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Great voice, too, along with the powerful playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I just stumbled on this guy, and he is good. There's a whole concert video on this page. Very good picture and sound quality, but it's not youtube so it can't be embedded here.

Check him out at http://wkar.org/post/larry-mccray-backstage-pass

Very good player and vocalist. A bit of a mixture of blues and R&B I think?
    Many years ago, when my son and I were wandering between stages at the Detroit International Jazz Fest, we heard this ripping guitar solo, and stopped dead in our tracks to catch the rest of the set. Turned out it was Larry McCray. Never heard of him before that. Man, he was great!

Post Thanks / Like

Larry's one of my favorite players/singers. I have seen him live in a small club and had a chance to talk with him over a beer years ago in NYC. 'Nice guy to boot.
    Here's a great tune ~

Post Thanks / Like

While on the subject of hot players that may not be known to enough people, here's another one of my favorites. I met Chris on Cape Cod about 22 years ago and he was blazing away then. Now he's just an absolute monster and keeps getting better ~
    Check these out ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky View Post
    While on the subject of hot players that may not be known to enough people, here's another one of my favorites. I met Chris on Cape Cod about 22 years ago and he was blazing away then. Now he's just an absolute monster and keeps getting better ~
    ^This is an understatement. Chris is beyond a monster! I love the pure emotion he puts into his music.

EDIT: Bob, you inspired me to get this.

I'll be adding more...