Thread: Gimmick Gear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Gimmick Gear?

Confession: I can be a sucker for gimmicky guitar gear.

I've been talking myself out of buying Bullet Cable's Spark Plug Guitar Cable for years. I have enough quality instrument cables. I don't need this one. But this isn't about need--this is an admission of want.

Is there any silly non-essential guitar gear on the market that you crave? Did you cave ang buy it? Do you regret it? Are you willing to admit it?
    Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sometimes I get such stupid urges to get something. Not necessarily always guitar either. Something just because it's cheap, for instance. Only a few days back I glanced at an ad for a flexible vacuum cleaner attachment for vacuuming behind radiators etc. and it was only 6,99 and I had this sudden urge to go buy it.

I admit to being a materialist and despite I have it under check pretty well, now and then I just feel damn good to simply buy something, never mind what it is really.

Actually I guess I'm much more leery of buying music stuff these days as it's both expensive and I have don it so much I well realize I don't need any more. But a few years back I swapped and bought pedals etc. every week basically and scoured the local 'craigslist' five times a day.

So yeah, you have my sympathies.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When the bug bites, it can be hard to keep GAS under control. Like Dee said, it isn't limited to just guitar gear.
    I try to put myself in the post purchase situation of what it will be like with, "OK, now I have this.... What now?"

Post Thanks / Like

Face it: Consumerism is a terminal illness

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a digital wireless system.

My justification was that I could go out front to help with the band mix while playing.

I have to admit that it does help keep the stage uncluttered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son View Post
    Face it: Consumerism is a terminal illness
    Do you mean it doesn't end until you do?

Post Thanks / Like

"The Spark cable delivers a big, edgy sound, a nitrous tone, and hellfire attack with high frequencies keeping full harmonic detail."

A nitrous tone? Ah the sweet sweet sounds of Nitrogen in a trivalent state with Oxygen.

I ran N2O for a little while in a street racer. It sounds like money being spent at a very rapid rate

On topic though, I try to resist the gimmicks these days, but when I first started playing, I admit to buying all kinds of sprays and potions to make my fingers "glide up and down the fret board" Years later, I'm realizing that the only thing that toughens your fingertips and helps you fly up and down the fret board faster is practice. (and some delicate use of a scotchbrite on glossy necks).