Thread: New song "Park Bench" - Dobro, Ukulele, Acoustic Guitar, etc

Post Thanks / Like

Default New song "Park Bench" - Dobro, Ukulele, Acoustic Guitar, etc

Hey Everyone,

I've been continuing to push myself to write more songs and record them on a regular basis just to get my composing and production chops in shape.
    I've been having a lot of fun with this. I decided to focus on writing music with the intention of licensing it for advertising or TV/film. This is a very competitive space but it would be my dream-come-true to ever have someone license any of my songs. I have friends who have had some success with this (although minor), so it is possible if you work really hard at it and have an equal amount of luck. You have to start somewhere, this is what I'm focusing on - starting that process of writing my own material, experimenting with sounds/arrangements, and finding a voice.

Here is a link to the latest song that I recorded. For this one I was trying to capture the sound/feeling that might go with a park-bench scene where two elderly folks are visiting with each other.

To capture this old-time/quirky soundscape I used Dobro, Ukulele, Acoustic Guitar, and glockenspiel (sampled)
    I've been enjoying the Dobro quite a lot lately. It's challenging to play this instrument but I'm in love with the sound that it makes when it's coaxed in the right way, and muted (it also likes to make noises that don't sound good, so a lot of effort/time is spent learning how to dampen it effectively while you play :-)

Here is a link to the song: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11969165
    Thanks for listening!

--Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice! I like how you have an upbeat, positive feel for capturing the feel of two elders visiting on a park bench. Seems like many of the scenes I can think of focusing on the elderly are less positive. (Grumpy Old Men, etc.)

The dobro is nice. It does not have that raspy, twangy sound that much dobro music seems to have to me. Thanks for sharing!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Nice dobro work fo-sho!!

Post Thanks / Like

I like it!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great Jim! You've captured a wonderful vibe and balance between the instruments. Super easy to listen to, I could definitely imagine this piece as an intro/outro to a television show.

Cheers,
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the comments. I've been having fun working out some things on the dobro lately and I thought this song would benefit from some dobro parts to add some quirkiness and old-time kind of vibe to it. I'm still kind of a novice on the dobro but working on my tone and technique. It's well worth the time to spend on the instrument since it adds so much character to a song if I can get my parts right :-)

Thanks again for listening!

--Jim