Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD! Late 50's Framus 5/51 archtop

Thread: NGD! Late 50's Framus 5/51 archtop

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD! Late 50's Framus 5/51 archtop

Picked this up from our "craigslist". It has a low serial number and the production started in 1958 so my guess is that it's from the late 50's. It plays great. Action is nice and with the new heavy strings I put on (13-56) it works very well for sliding. I tend to think that my fingers are quite strong but with these strings I can't bend more than 3/4 of a step and even that is to push it. The body is really small, which is why I wanted the thicker strings to "boost" the sound a bit. It has a very nice delta bluesy sound. What surprises me is how it responds to picking dynamics, what pick you use, where you pick and how comes across extremely clear.

Pictures:

Hanging next to the Hagstrom Viking to show the size, but it doesn't really come across on the photos how small it is.

Just look at the profile, it's almost like a violin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very pretty! Along with the Hagstrom, I imagine that is a very warm, woody sounding guitar room. Congrats!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very nice! I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! a 60 year old guitar with the neck ready to go? That's amazing. Beautiful, congratulations on a great find.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up an archtop around the same age (I have a thread about it somewhere here) that I'm fixing up. Hence my question/comment.

Aren't 13's considered "medium" when it comes to Archtops?
    Are those strings phosphor bronze, or regular nickel strings?

I've ordered a couple of sets of 13-56 phosphor bronze strings to get my Alver up and running, so hopefully that was the right choice! (I've read phosphor bronze strings aren't great for use with a pickup, but mine doesn't have a pickup (yet) so I'll see how it all goes.)

Awesome score! I thought mine was in good condition for it's age, but your's is MINT! I think this is the start of thefret's vintage archtop revolution!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

No, not really mint condtion, it looks good on the photos though. There are a few dings and scratches but it's in very good condition considering the age. The strings are Ernie Ball power slnkeys, phosphor bronze so they wouldn't work with a magnetic pup. I think I would go with an acoustic pickup instead of a magnetic one. I think an acoustic pickup would do a better job of picking up the actual sound of the guitar.

I don't know if 13-56 is heavy or medium on an archtop. Scale length must have an impact too, right? I know that my strings are veeeeery hard to bend more than 1/2 a step.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Hampus. I think you are right about scale length. I haven't actually measured mine so I guess I'll just see how it feels with the strings on. I was leaning towards a magnetic pickup (thinking of blues slide on it), but you make a good point about capturing the acoustic qualities. Maybe I'll end up with both

This is the thread on mine if you want a look

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's cool, congrats. For years I had a Framus mandolin from the '60's that's my dad's.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool! I love Framus guitars. You mentioned the violin shape. Most of the Framus craftsmen were violin makers before WW2. I have my first Framus. which is also my first guitar, a late 60's Gaucho and I also have an early 70s electric semi hollow body.
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Hampus;230239] The body is really small, which is why I wanted the thicker strings to "boost" the sound a bit.]

Nice find ~

I think you might find that going to a lighter gauge will actually give you some nice projection. Sometimes strings can kind of overpower a guitar.

Also, it looks like there are nylon bits on the bridge. Eliminating them or using a bridge that gets the strings more in contact with the top would likely be a big help.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=otaypanky;230436]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
    The body is really small, which is why I wanted the thicker strings to "boost" the sound a bit.]

Nice find ~

I think you might find that going to a lighter gauge will actually give you some nice projection. Sometimes strings can kind of overpower a guitar.

Also, it looks like there are nylon bits on the bridge. Eliminating them or using a bridge that gets the strings more in contact with the top would likely be a big help.
    Thanks!

Yeah. i've actually changed the strings again. 12-52 this time. I also changed brand from the Ernie Ball Slinkeys to GHS Vintage bronze strings. These new strings sound a hundred times better. I adjusted the truss rod a couple of notches, adjusted the bridge and intonated it. It's now close to perfect It would be great to find an original pick guard too.

You are right about the vinyl parts on the bridge, but I'd like to keep it original as far as possible.

If I ever get over my shyness I'll record a sound sample

/Hampus

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not mistaken a bridge like that will just lift off the body if the strings are removed or loosened so there wouldn't be any modification required to try an all wood or wood and metal bridge. 'Might be fun to hear the difference