Thread: NGD! Late 50's Framus 5/51 archtop

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Hampus;230239] The body is really small, which is why I wanted the thicker strings to "boost" the sound a bit.]

Nice find ~

I think you might find that going to a lighter gauge will actually give you some nice projection. Sometimes strings can kind of overpower a guitar.

Also, it looks like there are nylon bits on the bridge. Eliminating them or using a bridge that gets the strings more in contact with the top would likely be a big help.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=otaypanky;230436]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
    The body is really small, which is why I wanted the thicker strings to "boost" the sound a bit.]

Nice find ~

I think you might find that going to a lighter gauge will actually give you some nice projection. Sometimes strings can kind of overpower a guitar.

Also, it looks like there are nylon bits on the bridge. Eliminating them or using a bridge that gets the strings more in contact with the top would likely be a big help.
    Thanks!

Yeah. i've actually changed the strings again. 12-52 this time. I also changed brand from the Ernie Ball Slinkeys to GHS Vintage bronze strings. These new strings sound a hundred times better. I adjusted the truss rod a couple of notches, adjusted the bridge and intonated it. It's now close to perfect It would be great to find an original pick guard too.

You are right about the vinyl parts on the bridge, but I'd like to keep it original as far as possible.

If I ever get over my shyness I'll record a sound sample

/Hampus