So the other day (the same day I did this as it happens) I spied another old Maton that I thought I'd take a punt on. After a bit of messing about with delivery, I brought this home yesterday..

Say hi to a 1964 Maton DC545!

1964 Maton D.C. 545 by Ch0jiN, on Flickr

She's not been lying under a bed for 50 years this one. There's more exposed wood than paint on the sides, and the top and back have substantial wear and tear. You can't see it in this shot because of my lighting and editing, but the original nitro finish is fairly heavily crazed and dull. It looks like it might have once had a pretty nice looking flame when it was all new and shiny

[from the original brochure] "New "big sound" twin adjustable pickups by Maton. Complete distortion-free sound with power plus."

Distortion Free? Muhuhahahahaha!

[from the original brochure] "Exclusive new Bass Expander Control and smooth, wide range volume."

It has original pots, which are in pretty urgent need of replacement, but the "bass expander control" does have an interesting effect unlike a "typical" tone control, so I'm keen to see how things are wired up.

The control up the top is actually supposed to be a little lever thing (I have an eye on the correct replacement) as that's the pu selector. It's also missing the pick guard which I'm going to have to get custom made if I decide to replace it.

You can see the repair in the F hole where a large chuck was broken out. it's also cracked a little through that bare wood section below.

This is what a REAL relic neck looks like

Well Worn by Ch0jiN, on Flickr

Check out these tuners. From what I can tell, these were only used on the very first few 545's before they changed to plain oval buttons with the change in body shape. This was the 13th of it's type built in 1964 from what I can tell. I'm going to check in with Maton and see if they can verify it. Look at that nitro. Pretty easy to see why guitar makers stopped using it. Not exactly your "durable" finish

Groovy Tuners by Ch0jiN, on Flickr

Likely the original nut. It's not in tremendous shape... It's had a great fret job in it's recent history though, with only mildly worn stainless frets with silky smooth ends.

Old Nuts by Ch0jiN, on Flickr

I really need to preserve this headstock artwork. That appears to be a hand painted logo and graphic, perilously close to chipping away forever. I'll be talking to some resto guys about sorting that out. I'm thinking a few coats of satin clear over it to lock all the old paint down, but I'll see what happens.

Now in case your wondering why I think this guitar is a bit exciting, even in it's neglected state (there's even other dodgy stuff I have told you about yet, diners ready so I'm wrapping it up early) well I can sum it up easily.

I've seen exactly 3 of these guitars ever on the net (so far anyway). This one, a really nice green one, and the one that's in the Maton Museum here http://maton.com.au/ on their home page. Look at the guitars in the glass cabinets on the right, it's the green one second from the right.

You might also spy one in the film clip to "Friday on my mind" by the Easybeats

It's basically the Australian version of a 335

Anyway, time to eat. I'll be posting more about this one soon I can guarantee it!