Thread: New Band

Post Thanks / Like

Wink New Band

Well, after two years and too many two-note songs I finally quit The Mediocres. I felt that the band was going in a direction of songs that were too simple to keep my interest. Practices were becoming a chore rather than something to look forward to.

I had my final gig with them last weekend and made the most of it.

A couple of weeks ago I answered an ad for a group looking for a bass player. Jazz-fusion.

It sounded very interesting, but I was worried about whether or not I could cut in that demanding genre.

After an audition, they wanted me in the band right away. It turns out that a lot of the material isn't that difficult to play, but sure is incredibly fun.

Not sure it's entirely jazz-fusion though. Old Santana. Old Chicago. George Benson. Steely Dan. Phill Collins. Man, that old Chicago stuff kicks arse for bass!

Last night's rehearsal was the most fun I've had on bass since high school. I had an absolute blast and was even given a bass solo. They like to improvise a lot which is right up my alley.

The band's name is Portait and consists of drums, guitar, bass, and viola. It's a very interesting and eclectic mix of instruments. The drummer/band leader's wife plays the vocal parts on her viola and it sounds really good. They are all very good musicians and it's a serious treat to play with them.

So far, I've been playing my fretless with them and will probably use it for most of the tunes.

I'll try to post some recordings when I get some decent ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Band

Cool! Keep us posted! Freeform jazz odyssey, away!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Happy New Band Day! That sounds like a perfect gig for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I agrree with tig !!! First rule of progreesion IMHO is to enjoy what your playing!!