Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

SVL'S Pedal Board Build
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SVL'S Pedal Board Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default SVL'S Pedal Board Build

Begins:

OLD: mess of a board spilling out of an old laptop case seen here:

The pedals have changed since then.

NEW, Begin the begin:

Cut a 22.75 inch by 16 inch board. Start laying stuff out

This is not even close to the lay out. I am going to move some stuff around, and see what I can move off, to allow for an expression pedal to use for wah, and anything else I end up playing around with on the M9. I anticipate the Expression pedal and M9 being next to each other somewhere on the right.

The board will end up being about the same size as a PT-3. Once I have the lay out figured out, it will have a couple channels cut in it for cabling, and will be raised in the back with some board, and the whole thing will sit on rubber feet. I am not sure how I intend to secure the pedals yet. I may use bicycle chain links, zip ties, or just velcro. I plan on finishing the board with some clear or tinted clear when I am done.

It will be housed in and old 50's samsonite leather suitcase, 24x17. I have a line on one that looks good and sturdy and looks good for the purpose. Looking for kinda a "Briefcase full of (rock and) Blues" look, with a board that can be pulled out and set down at gigs or playing out. Thus the 23x16 board to fit the inside dimensions. Once I actually get the suitcase here, I may slice the 16 inch dimension just a hair for fit. I don't think it will hurt my real estate too much to lose a 1/3 of an inch.

I am going to pull all of this current set up apart and start over. And so it starts.

Comments, hints, etc. welcome!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is one possibility. Shows a fake expression pedal, and the NS-2, which might go away sideways in the middle. Could work! I want the Expression pedal and the M9 next to each other at the bottom so I can toggle off the wah, and get to the M9 looper button easily. I have the polytune going into a noise suppression loop with the NS-2 including all the separate dirtboxes, then over to the M9, then out to the separate chorus and carbon copy, then to the amp.

It will look better when I replace some pedal cables with right angle types and the correct lengths, and cut the slots to tidy up some of the cabling and power cord. The 1spot, the brick for the M9, and the power strip will go underneath the board after it is raised in the back. I have it sitting on some scrap wood in the back in this pic.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the whole point of an M9 was to be the pedalboard itself?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like my individual dirt boxes, and the Carbon copy. I plan on using the M9 for reverb, for an additional delay, and for mostly modulation effects, and sometimes wah, as much as I use a wah, which is so far, never.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like individual stomp boxes as well, but I bet some of yours could get replaced by the M9.
    Oh, and thanks for clipping your toenails before the 3rd picture. The interwebz isn't a long toenail friendly place, ya know!

This reminds me that I really need to put together some kind of board for my pedals, now that I've collected so many.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good, Steve. At least you've got a plan, that's the first step.
    I've swapped pedals around before, it's fun, but it's a pain at the same time.

And Tig, thanks for the toenail advice, I had to have the big toe nail removed years ago off my right foot.......pretty gnarly looking.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks OG. As I play around with this layout, I find that I am going to have to adjust the area where the NS-2, ZYS, and DS-1 currently sit. Too tight for easy access right now.

Once I get some better cable lengths with right angle jacks, and dump the cables down into the channels I plan to cut, it will fit together better. The NS-2 will also move over a bit to go above the Carbon Copy and CE-5. More room there than over the end of the M9. Then I think the pedals will fit together just fine.

@Tig, yeah, a couple could probably go as there is definitely some duplication there. But I like the particular sounds I have dialed in with a couple combinations of those pedals, so until I match up those sounds with some patches on the M9, they stay. Also, the DS-1 and Bad Monkey were my first pedals so it is hard to part with them.

It is great fun to get the Little Big Muff back on the board. It had dropped off when I had run out of room. I love playing around with that thing.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, ordered some guitar cable and jacks to make a couple 18 inch right to rights to move that NS-2 farther to the left, and to convert my straight-in guitar and amp cables to right angles. Then I will see if I want to cut another piece of ply to raise the dirtboxes up 1/2 an inch or so. Then once I know how I want it to fit together, I will cut channels to dump the cabling into, figure out how I want to attach the pedals to the board, whether by bicycle chain link or velcro, and finish it. I think it should work out!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Love the bike pedal link idea....but it's too much of a commitment for me. I have reason to pull one pedal off on occasion...

Velcro comes un-glued, collects pet hair, causes you to lose rubber feet from pedals...but still. It allows for the inevitable what if....

Looks like fun, Steve. thanks for keeping us posted.
    Last edited by kidsmoke; November 15th, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    Velcro comes ungled, collects pet hair, causes you to lose rubber feet from pedals...but still. It allows for the inevitable what if...
    The standard hook and loop velcro gets funky. I'd suggest the industrial type that looks like tiny posts on both sides of the tape, like 3M Dual Lock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maybe that type would be thick enough to avoid having to remove rubber feet.

Or here is a "how to" on the bicycle chain idea. http://jstrassburg.blogspot.com/2008...nja-style.html
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, it is pretty thick once both sides are together. It wouldn't need too much since it is very strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Maybe that type would be thick enough to avoid having to remove rubber feet.

Or here is a "how to" on the bicycle chain idea. http://jstrassburg.blogspot.com/2008...nja-style.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Yes, it is pretty thick once both sides are together. It wouldn't need too much since it is very strong.
    Yes, it's thick enough to leave feet on? I like that material idea with or without that characteristic, but that'd be great.

I have a Gator board that is just a deck, covered 100% in the good old Hook n Loop. Super versatile, but I think this could work well also. Board size is perfect, handy "gig bag" for it, and it's small enough to keep me from getting any crazy ideas.

Any sourcing ideas for those of us without a McMaster account?

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Updated layout pic. Not much new built here. I did not find time to solder my new cables or build more on the actual board, but I do have the expression pedal now (seen at lower right on the board), and moved the NS-2 over by unplugging the cables to see how it would all fit. I think it will do for now. I may remove the Bad Monkey and the DS-1, as I can cover those probably with my Rodent and ZYS, and the dirt box models in the M9. But for now, I will leave them. Now I just have to make the cables so I can truly move the NS-2 over there, get the industrial velcro or what ever I am going to use, then cut the channels for cleaning up the cables and finish it.

But I am going to play a fair amount with this arrangement before I fully commit to this being the lay out.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It looks just about ready to go, Steve. I agree that the Rodent and ZYS could cover the other two pedals well.

I need to do the same for my pedals now.

Arriving today...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It looks just about ready to go, Steve. I agree that the Rodent and ZYS could cover the other two pedals well.

I need to do the same for my pedals now.

Arriving today...

Cool looking pedal! It looks like it is the bomb!

Yeah, I know I can get pretty close (or spot on with the ZYS and the Monkey) with the ZYS and Rodent. The Rodent does not really want to do a stock DS-1 tone, but that was never DVM's favorite tone anyway. I kind of like the idea of simply having them there set up as very different tones than the ZYS and Rodent so I can click over quickly to different tones without having to adjust the ZYS and Rodent. But it is possible I can dial up models in the M9 that will cover well enough. So we shall see.

@Tio Kimo, I found that industrial velcro stuff at multiple places on the internet for instance that tape store where Tig got the picture. Even Amazon has it. I found some that is being marketed as pedal tape even on Amazon! It comes in black too, which I may go with as I don't know that I am in love with the clear.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    I kind of like the idea of simply having them there set up as very different tones than the ZYS and Rodent so I can click over quickly to different tones without having to adjust the ZYS and Rodent. But it is possible I can dial up models in the M9 that will cover well enough. So we shall see.

@Tio Kimo, I found that industrial velcro stuff at multiple places on the internet for instance that tape store where Tig got the picture. Even Amazon has it. I found some that is being marketed as pedal tape even on Amazon! It comes in black too, which I may go with as I don't know that I am in love with the clear.
    Ah, having extra choices is wonderful!
    I'll have 1 fuzz (Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker), 1 distortion (BYOC Mouse), and 3 boost/OD's (BYOC Boost/OD-2, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Catalinbread RAH).

As for the super velcro tape, most electronic supply stores should have it as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I used standard velcro on my first pedal board & it is not up to the job, it hangs onto the pedals fine but I found the sticky side came unstuck off my pedal board when I moved the pedals around, like Tig says the industrial stuff is much better the sticky side is stronger as well as the velcro.
    I used 3M off ebay.

I had a look at the bike chain idea, probably ok if you are not a Tweaker but I swap & change pedals around often, sometimes I like to move my fuzz infront of my Wah for slightly different fx etc etc, would be a pain unscrewing all the time.
    Last edited by The Grand Vizier; November 20th, 2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Add a bit

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I like Tigs idea. I would need the option to rip out a pedal and possibly throw out the window and replace with my new best pedal.I do like that chain link idea if you have a certain setup and plan to gig with it. JMHO!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast